Nicole Mary Kidman is an Australian actress, producer and occasional singer. She’s received multiple awards throughout her career in acting, including an Academy Award, one Primetime Emmy Award, four Golden Globe Awards and the Silver Bear for Best Actress award. Take a look below for 30 more fun and fascinating facts about Nicole Kidman.
1. She began her acting career in Australia with the 1983 movie Bush Christmas.
2. Kidman was a lead in BMW Bandits in 1983.
3. Her breakthrough role came in 1989 with the thriller Dead Calm and the television miniseries Bangkok Hilton.
4. In 1990, Kidman made her Hollywood debut in the racing movie Days of Thunder, with Tom Cruise.
5. Kidman went on to achieve wide recognition with leading roles in the romantic drama Far and Away, the superhero movie Batman Forever, the crime comedy-drama To Die For, for which she won a Golden Globe Award, and the erotic thriller Eyes Wide Shut.
6. She received two consecutive Academy Award for Best Actress nominations for playing a courtesan in the musical Moulin Rouge! and the writer Virginia Woolf in the drama movie The Hours. She managed to win an Academy Award for The Hours and she received Golden Globe Awards for both movies.
7. She starred in other commercially successful movies, such as the horror-thriller The Others and the epic war drama movie Cold Mountain.
8. Kidman achieved critical acclaim for her roles in independent movies, such as the dramas Dogville, Birth and Rabbit Hole, for which she received a third Best Actress Oscar nomination, and the thriller The Paperboy.
9. In 2017, Kidman returned to television with an acclaimed performance as a victim of domestic abuse in the HBO series Big Little Lies, for which she won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress.
10. She has been a Goodwill ambassador for UNICEF since 1994 and for UNIFEM since 2006.
11. In 2006, Kidman was made a Companion in the Order of Australia and was the highest paid actress in the movie industry for that year.
12. As a result of being born to Australian parents in Hawaii, Kidman has dual citizenship in Australia and the United States.
13. She founded and owns the production company Blossom Films.
14. Following her divorce from Tom Cruise, she has been married to singer Keith Urban since 2006.
15. Her father was Antony Kidman, a biochemist, clinical psychologist and author, who died of a heart attack in Singapore at the age of 75. Her mother, Janelle Ann, was a nursing instructor who edited her husband’s books and was a member of the Women’s Electoral Lobby.
16. Being born in Hawaii, Kidman was given the Hawaiian name Hokulani. The inspiration for the name came from a baby elephant born around the same time as Kidman at the Honolulu Zoo, but the name is also commonly used in Hawaii for naming girls. The name means “Heavenly Star.”
17. At the time she was born, her father was a graduate student at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
18. The family returned to Australia when Kidman was four years old and her mother now lives on Sydney’s North Shore.
19. She has a younger sister called Antonia Kidman, who’s a journalist and a television presenter.
20. Kidman was enrolled in ballet when she was 3 years old and showed a natural talent for acting in her primary and high school years.
21. She has said that she was first inspired to become an actress when she saw Margaret Hamilton’s performance as the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.
22. Kidman initially studied at the Philip Street Theater in Sydney. At Philip Street, she studied alongside Naomi Watts who had attended the same high school.
23. Kidman has an adopted son and daughter with Cruise as well as two biological daughters with Urban.
24. She met Tom Cruise in November, 1989, while filming Days of Thunder. They were married on Christmas Eve, 1990, in Telluride, Colorado.
25. In her 2007 interview with Marie Claire, Kidman noted the incorrect reporting of the ectopic pregnancy early in her marriage. She said, “It was wrongly reported as miscarriage, by everyone who picked up the story. So it’s huge news, and it didn’t happen.”
26. Before she married Cruise, Kidman had been involved with Australian actor Marcus Graham and Windrider co-star Tom Burlinson.
27. In August, 2003, rapper Q-Tip claimed to have had an intimate relationship with Kidman earlier that year. She was also said to be involved with Adrien Brody at some point during that year as well.
28. She met musician Lenny Kravitz in 2003 and dated him into 2004.
29. During her divorce from Tom Cruise, she has publicly stated that she didn’t want their children raised as Scientologists.
30. In 2014, Kidman said that she has been practicing Transcendental Meditation since her early 20s.