Ryan Rodney Reynolds is a Canadian actor. Some of his most prominent roles are Billy Simpson in the YTV Canadian teen soap opera Hillside, Michael Bergen on the ABC sitcom Two Guys and a Girl, and various comic book characters including Marvel Comics superheroes Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity, Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the 2016 Deadpool movie. Take a look below for 30 more fun and fascinating facts about Ryan Reynolds.
1. He portrayed the Hal Jordan incarnation of the DC Comics superhero Green Lantern in the 2011 movie of the same name.
2. Reynolds starred in movies such as National Lampoon’s Van Wilder, The Amityville Horror, Definitely, Maybe, The Proposal, Buried, The Croods, The Voices, Mississippi Grind and Woman in Gold.
3. He was born on October 23, 1976, in Vancouver, British Columbia.
4. Reynolds is the youngest of four brothers, and two of his three older brothers are policemen.
5. He attended Kwantlen College for a few months before leaving to pursue his acting career.
6. He created an improv comedy group in Vancouver called Yellow Snow.
7. Reynolds was offered the role of Xander in the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. However, the part ended up going to Nicholas Brendon.
8. He thought that Beacon Street Pizza from Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place was a real pizza place. When Reynolds went to Boston to promote Van Wilder, he went looking for the pizza place but he couldn’t find it.
9. Reynolds loves riding motorcycles. He owns three motorcycles which are, a customized 2005 Harley-Davidson Springer Softail, a 2006 Ducati Sport 1000, and a 2005 Confederate.
10. His favorite color is yellow and he has said that it’s his personality color.
11. He was raised Catholic but has said in interviews that he believes religion poisons everything good in this world.
12. For his character in Just Friends, Reynolds played an overweight high school boy. He wore a 12 pound makeup face that took 4 hours to put on. When he stepped outside in full makeup, he was so unrecognizable that when a fan came up to him, he pretended he wasn’t himself.
13. From 2001 to 2002, he dated Rachael Leigh Cook. He would secretly follow her to London and surprise her while she was shooting Blow Dry.
14. For his movie Buried, Reynolds said that he suffered from claustrophobia towards the end of the filming, similar to his character who was trapped in a coffin.
15. While he was filming The Amityville Horror, Reynolds purposely chose not to become close with the actors who played his children so that when his character began going crazy, it would be easier for him to act abusive.
16. He has said that he loves traveling, scuba diving, fishing and swimming.
17. In 2002, he started dating singer Alanis Morissette and they got engaged two years later.
18. In 2002, he injured his back by jumping from a bridge in Zurich, Switzerland.
19. For his role as Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity, Reynolds gained 25 pounds. According to Men’s fitness, his 3 month long workout was six days a week and consisted of a 3,200 calorie daily diet.
20. In February, 2007, Reynolds and Morissette announced that they had broke up. Morissette said that her album Flavors of Entanglement was created out of her grief after the breakup. The song “Torch” was written about Reynolds.
21. In 2008, he began sating Scarlett Johansson and they announced their engagement in May, 2008.
22. In October, 2008, Reynolds wrote for The Huffington Post regarding his plan to run the New York City Marathon for his father, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease.
23. In 2010, Reynolds and Johansson announced their divorce.
24. In February, 2010, Reynolds was named the new face of Hugo Boss fragrances.
25. He has a tattoo on his right wrist of the Nine O’clock Gun, which is the cannon that goes off nightly in Vancouver.
26. His favorite actors are Albert Books and Steve Martin.
27. After a bad skydiving accident, in which his parachute failed to open at the first attempt, he has had a fear of flying.
28. Reynolds met Blake Lively while filming Green Lantern, and soon after, the two started dating.
29. On September 9, 2012, Reynolds and Lively got married near Charleston, South Carolina with only 70 guests.
30. He has been nominated 4 times for a People’s Choice Award for Best Actor and Best Comedy Actor.