Water is one of the most important substances on Earth. It’s in all living things, whether they live at the bottom of the ocean or the driest desert. Life on Earth as we know it and cherish it today couldn’t be possible without water. Water is essential and it bounds together all living things in an unbreakable chain. For us, it’s an energy booster, a valuable detoxifier, our assistant in weight loss, and our makeup artist for healthy hydrated skin. Take a look below for 30 interesting and amazing facts about water.
1. All the water on Earth came from comets and asteroids! Enjoy your drink of star juice, it came here about 4 billion years ago in a period called the Late Heavy Bombardment.
2. Water is the most important resource in the world.
3. 7% of the freshwater on Earth is trapped in glaciers.
4. 80% of all illness in the developing world is water-related! Don’t take your safe drinking water for granted!
5. Unsafe water kills 200 children every hour.
6. Collectively, South African women and children walk a daily distance equivalent to 16 trips to the moon and back to fetch water.
7. A person can live about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
8. Water is the only substance that is found naturally on earth in all three forms: liquid, gas, solid!
9. A whopping 96.5 % of the water on Earth is in our oceans, covering 71 % of the surface of our planet.
10. Water leaves your stomach 5 minutes after drinking it! This is based on an empty stomach, so if you’re feeling thirsty you can rehydrate yourself quickest by drinking before eating.
11. Pipes burst in cold weather because the water in them expands by 9% when it freezes!
12. The average human body is made of 50 to 65 % water.
13. Newborn babies have, even more, ringing in at 78 % water.
14. 70% of the human brain consists of water!
15. Water can dissolve more substances than any other liquid, including sulfuric acid!
16. A jellyfish and a cucumber are each 95% water!
17. A leaky tap that drips one drop per second can waste more than 11,300 liters a year!
18. It’s no wonder we’re so committed to helping businesses reduce water wastage. Installing Water Plus’s sensor taps helps this issue.
19. It takes 75 liters of water to make one pint of beer!
20. 300 tons of water is required to manufacture 1 ton of steel.
21. It takes about 80 liters of water to fill a bathtub!
22. If the entire world’s water were fit into a 4-liter jug, the freshwater available for us would equal only about one tablespoon.
23. Over 90% of the world’s supply of freshwater is located in Antarctica.
24. Water regulates the Earth’s temperature.
25. In 100 years, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
26. There is more water in the atmosphere than in all of our rivers combined.
27. And at any given time, about 0.001% is floating above us in the atmosphere. If all of that water fell as rain at once, the whole planet would get about 1 inch of rain.
28. There are no actual scientific studies to support the recommendation to drink 8 glasses of water per day!
29. But we’d still recommend staying hydrated. Water has been shown to improve your mood, help you perform better, and strengthen your immune system.
30. Drinking too much water can be fatal (known as water intoxication).