Thomas William Hiddleston, born February 9, 1981, is an English actor, film producer and musician. At the beginning of his career, he appeared in West End theater productions of Cymbeline and Ivanov. He won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best Newcomer in a Play for his role in Cymbeline and was also nominated for the same award for his role as Cassio in Othello. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Tom Hiddleston.
2. For his role as Loki in the Marvel movies, Hiddleston won the Empire Award for Best Male Newcomer and was nominated for the BAFTA Rising Star Award.
3. Hiddleston has appeared in Steven Spielberg’s War Horse, The Deep Blue Sea, Woody Allen’s romantic comedy Midnight in Paris, the 2012 BBC series Henry IV and Henry V, and the romantic vampire movie Only Lovers Left Alive.
4. In late 2013 and early 2014, Hiddleston starred as the title character in the Donmar Warehouse production of Coriolanus, winning the Evening Standard Theater Award for Best Actor.
5. In 2015, he starred in Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak, Ben Wheatley’s High Rise, and played the troubled country music singer Hank Williams in the biopic I Saw The Light.
6. In 2016, he starred in and was an executive producer of the AMC / BBC limited series The Night Manager, for which he received two Primetime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie and Outstanding Limited Series, and won his first Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film.
7. Hiddleston was born in Westminster, London, the son of Diana Patricia Hiddleston, an arts administrator and former stage manager, and James Norman Hiddleston, a physical chemist.
8. His father is from Greenock, Scotland, and his mother is from Suffolk.
9. His younger sister, Emma, is also an actress, while his older sister, Sarah, is a journalist in India.
10. Through his mother, he’s a great-grandson of Vice Admiral Reginald Servaes and a great-great-grandson of food producer Sir Edmund Vestey.
11. Hiddleston was raised in Wimbledon in his early years, and later moved to a village near Oxford.
12. He went to Dragon School preparatory school in Oxford.
13. His parents divorced when he was 12. When discussing his parents’ divorce in an interview with The Daily Telegraph, he stated: “I like to think it made me more compassionate in my understanding of human frailty.”
14. At the age of 13, Hiddleston began boarding at Eton College.
15. He attended Pembroke College at the University of Cambridge, where he earned a double first in Classics.
16. During his second term at Cambridge, Hiddleston was seen in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire by talent agent Lorraine Hamilton of Hamilton Hodell.
17. Hiddleston proceeded to study acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, from which he graduated in 2005.
18. He played rugby at Cambridge University, but gave it up for his love of acting.
19. He screen tested for the title role in Thor, maintaining a strict diet and gaining 20 pounds of muscle. However, Kenneth Branagh decided that he was more suitable for the role of Loki.
20. He won Third Prize at the Ian Charleson Awards in 2007.
21. In January 2013, he traveled with UNICEF UK to Guinea, West Africa, to visit children, families and communities. He continues to remain involved with the organization.
22. Hiddleston speaks French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Latin and English.
23. He was in the same class as both Prince William and Eddie Redmayne at the boarding school Eton College.
24. As of 2015, he has appeared in two movies which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture of the Year: Midnight in Paris and War Horse.
25. He read “The Politics of the Family and Other Essays” by R.D. Laing in preparation for his role in Crimson Peak.
26. His favorite music video is “Weapon of Choice” by Fatboy Slim.
27. Hiddleston’s favorite books are Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and Any Human Heart by William Boyd.
28. He generally runs five miles every morning, however, in preparation for I Saw the Light, he ran ten miles each morning, and also cycled in order to gain a pencil-thin figure for his role as Hank Williams.
29. His eyes water involuntarily when he’s scared.
30. He participated in an autopsy to prepare for his role as a physiologist in High Rise.