Michelle Claire Ryan, born April 22, 1984, is an English actress. She played Zoe Slater on the BBC soap opera EastEnders. In 2007, she starred in the short lived American television series Bionic Woman. Take a look below for 25 more fun and interesting facts about Michelle Ryan.
1. Ryan appeared as the evil sorceress Nimueh in the 2008 BBC fantasy series Merlin, and as Lady Christina de Souza in the 2009 Doctor Who episode “Planet of the Dead.”
2. She was born in Enfield, Greater London, and was a student at Chace Community school.
3. She was consistently voted one of England’s sexiest women by readers of the men’s magazine FHM. She was ranked number 70 in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in 2002, number 21 in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in 2004, number 4 in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in 2005 and number 59 in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in 2007.
4. She auditioned for the role of Vesper Lynd in Casino Royale, but lost out to French actress Eva Green.
5. Ryan was given the role of Lexi in the movie Adulthood. However, filming was delayed so Ryan dropped out of the movie to pursue the short-lived television series Bionic Woman. The role of Lexi was then given to Ryan’s former EastEnders co-star Scarlett Alice Johnson.
6. She was ranked number 35 in The 100 Greatest EastEnders Character of All Time for her performance as Zoe Slater in 2015.
7. She has had two adventures on London red buses, one where she accompanies Doctor Who to the Planet of the Dead, and at the end, escapes the police in the bus, and another in Cockneys v. Zombies, where she shoots a zombie who boards her bus having, “no ticket.”
8. A member of a local theater group since she was 10 years old, she was picked for her role in EastEnders when she was 16 and first appeared on the show in September 2000.
9. Ryan left EastEnders in June 2005, and has since stated that she doesn’t intend to return.
10. Ryan was given her first acting role playing Sheylla Grands in the television series Chosen Ones in the first season.
11. During the summer of 2005, Ryan appeared in a run of Who’s the Daddy? at the King’s Head Theater. The play, by Toby Young and Lloyd Evans, is based on the David Blunkett paternity case.
12. She had a small role in an episode of Agatha Christie’s Marple, which screened in February 2006, and also appeared in a small independent movie the same year called Cashback.
13. In early 2007, Ryan was seen as Maria in Mansfield Park opposite Billie Piper for ITV.
14. She was cast as Lila in the movie I Want Candy, co-starring Carmen Electra and Mackenzie Crook.
15. On Red Nose Day 2007, she appeared in a brand new Mr. Bean sketch, written and recorded for Comic Relief.
16. In late 2007, she appeared in Flick, a Welsh independent movie co-starring Faye Dunaway and Leslie Phillips.
17. Ryan is signed to Independent Models in London. She’s also a patron of the children’s cancer charity CLIC Sargent.
18. Ryan and Grey’s Anatomy star Kevin McKidd starred in a one-off drama for BBC Scotland, One Night in Emergency, which was the story of one man’s surreal search for his wife in an inner city hospital.
19. In 2009, Ryan filmed 188.8.131.52., a crime thriller starring Emma Roberts, Noel Clarke, Tamsin Egerton and Ophelia Lovibond.
20. In 2010, she starred in a stage production of The Talented Mr. Ripley at the Royal Theater in Northampton.
21. In 2010, she appeared in the comedy movie Huge, alongside Noel Clarke, Johnny Harris, Ralph Brown, Thandie Newton and Tamsin Egerton.
22. In 2011, Ryan played Helena from A Midsummer Night’s Dream in the BBC Learning project, Off By Heart Shakespeare.
23. In 2012, Ryan toured with Will Young in a production of Cabaret.
24. In October 2010, Ryan filmed the terrorist thriller Cleanskin.
25. Ryan said that she is open to reprising her role in Doctor Who in the future. However, she has also stated that, “At the moment, when it comes to acting, I’m a bit of a commitment phobe.”