Despicable Me 3 is a 2017 American 3D computer animated action comedy movie produced by Illumination Entertainment for Universal Pictures. It’s the third main installment, fourth overall film in the Despicable Me film series, and the sequel to Despicable Me 2. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Despicable Me 3.
1. The movie is directed by Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda, co-directed by Eric Guillon and written by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio.
2. In the movie, Gru teams up with his long-lost twin brother Dru, in order to defeat a new enemy named Balthazar Bratt, a former child actor, obsessed with the 1980s, who grows up to become a villain after having his show cancelled following puberty.
3. Steve Carell, Miranda Cosgrove and Dana Gaier reprise their roles of Felonious Gru, Margo and Edith from the first two movies and Julie Andrews returns as Marlena Gru.
4. Kristen Wiig and Steve Coogan return from Despicable Me 2, while Trey Parker, Jenny Slate and Nev Scharrel join the cast.
5. The movie grossed over $1 billion worldwide, making it the fourth highest grossing movie of 2017, the fourth highest grossing animated movie of all time and the 26th highest grossing movie of all time.
6. Despicable Me 3 is Illumination’s second movie to gross over $1 billion, after Minions in 2015, becoming the first ever animated franchise to do so.
7. Steve Carell said that Despicable Me 3 may be his last movie as the voice of Gru. However, Carell stated that if he was asked to do a cameo in any future Minion sequels, he happily would.
8. Agnes’ voice actress Elsie Fisher, from the first and second movies, was replaced by Nev Scharrel due to Fisher getting too old for the role.
9. The diamond featured in the first trailer is a parody of the Pink Panther diamond.
10. The country that Dru lives in and Gru originates from is the fictional European country of Freedonia. This is the same name as a similar European country in The Marx Brothers’ movie Duck Soup.
11. Margo’s shirt has the Grinch on it. This is a reference to Illumination’s next movie.
12. In the prison, minions collect valuables from the prisoners. One of the prisoners is a Mr. Bean teddy.
13. Though Dr. Nafario can be seen in a flashback, he remains silent. This makes it the first Despicable Me movie to not feature Russell Brand voicing the character.
14. The animated sequence at the first part of the end credits, in which Dru and Gru are trying to outdo one another, is a reference to the opening credits sequences of the classic Pink Panther movies.
15. When Dru reaches into the power supply of the robot, the mechanism he pulls out is remarkably similar to the flux capacitor from Back to the Future.
16. Near the start of the movie, as Gru and Lucy are racing to the shop in mini subs, they show two clown fish, with one looking bigger than the other. One of the subs then hits the smaller one and all we see that’s left is the fish’s fin. This is most likely a reference to the Finding Nemo movies, as Nemo had a bad fin.
17. Alan Tudyk was considered for the role of Balthazar Bratt.
18. In France, the voices for the twins Gru and Dru are performed by Gad Elmaleh and Arie Elmaleh, who are brothers in real life.
19. Despicable Me 3 was shipped to cinemas under the pseudonym “Double Bubble.”
20. The costumes Gru and Dru wear as reminiscent of the classic 1960s Italian comic series “Diabolik,” who is a ruthless master thief and typically steals from criminals.
21. Despicable Me 3 is the first Despicable Me movie to not be nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Animated Features.
22. Balthazar Bratt’s name is likely a reference to Benjamin Bratt, who previously voiced the villain, El Macho, from the Despicable Me 2 movie.
23. When Bratt stomps on the Hollywood sign, he leaves the first three letters alone, so it just says, “HOL.” There was a game in the 1980s called “Human Occupied Landfill,” and the cover of the book just said HOL.
24. The museum director Balthazar Bratt is dressed up as, bears a strong resemblance to Mayor Shelbourne, the gluttonous and egotistical mayor from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
25. With Despicable Me 3 and Minions, the Despicable Me movie series became the first animated franchise to have two movies earn a billion dollars at the box office.
26. Bratt’s giant robot resembles the children from Trey Parker’s show South Park.
27. When the giant Bratt robot is attacking Hollywood, K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider can be seen reversing away.
28. There are two posters titled “onions” as a parody of the Minions poster. These can be seen towards the end in the Hollywood studios.
29. When Mel and the other Minions are roaming the streets, there is a poster for a TV show called SING!; this is a reference to another movie made by Illumination.
30. At the end of the movie, Lucy Wilde is left tied up and gagged in a closet. At the end of the previous movie, she was also tied up and strapped to a rocket.