Slowpoke is a dual type Water and Psychic Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Slowbro starting at level 37 or Slowking when traded holding a King’s Rock. Take a look below for 28 fun and interesting facts about Slowpoke.
1. Slowpoke is a pink Pokemon that resembles a cross between a salamander and a hippopotamus.
2. It has vacant eyes that never seem focused, curled ears, and a rounded, tan muzzle.
3. It has four legs, each of which ends in a single white claw.
4. Its long, tapering tail has a white tip. This tail drips a sweet, sappy substance that is attractive to many species of fish.
5. Slowpoke uses the tail as a fishing lure.
6. The tail often breaks off, but it will grow back.
7. In Alola, its tail is often dried and used in home cooked stews.
8. Slowpoke has notoriously dim intellect, and often forgets what it was doing.
9. It takes a long time to respond to outside stimuli. For example, it can take up to five seconds to process pain and can take an entire day to notice when its tail has been bitten.
10. Slowpoke is commonly found at the water’s edge.
11. In some places, it is believed that Slowpoke’s yawn causes rain.
12. This Pokémon is worshiped in those areas.
13. In the Pokémon Red and Blue beta, Slowpoke was originally known as “Slowmo”.
14. The Japanese and international Pokémon Silver have different sprites for Slowpoke, with the Japanese versions having a fatter and striped belly similar to that which Slowbro and Slowking sport. It is unknown why this was changed. However, its striped underside is still partially visible in all of its Gold and Crystal sprites. This striped belly does not appear to be a true error, as it has been seen in artwork by Ken Sugimori, though it is from Generation I.
15. Like Mantyke, Slowpoke evolves when another Pokémon attaches to it; however, this was only seen in the anime. Proximity-based evolution such as requiring Mantyke and Remoraid to be in the same party were not introduced until Generation IV. Despite the fact that other Pokémon, such as Feebas, have been given additional evolution methods for evolving into the same Pokémon, Shellder still has no bearing on Slowpoke’s evolution.
16. Slowpoke is the only Pokémon whose multiple evolutions have different total EV yields: Slowbro has an EV yield of 2, while Slowking has an EV yield of 3.
17. Slowpoke is the only Pokémon whose National Pokédex number is the same as its weight in pounds when rounded.
18. Despite numerous Pokédex entries stating its lack of response to a bite on its tail, in Pokémon Snap it is shown to quickly react to Shellder’s bite. This may be due to Shellder’s venom stimulating a quicker response, or simply an error or game mechanic to speed the process along.
19. The Pokémon Company posted a Slowpoke-themed reggae music video onto their Japanese channel titled What’s Going on, Yadon?. The song was later dubbed and posted to the English-language channel under the title of Slowpoke Song.
20. Though the species has appeared repeatedly, no Slowpoke has ever been seen using an attack in the anime.
21. Slowpoke has the lowest Speed of all Psychic-type Pokémon.
22. Due to its marine nature, shape, and association with shellfish, Slowpoke may be based on various species of otter. It may also be based on a giant salamander or hippopotamus.
23. Its ability to regenerate its own tail if cut off refers to autotomy.
24. Slowpoke is literally slowpoke, a term for someone who is slow. It can be also a combination of slow and poke (an abbreviation of Pokémon).
25. A Slowpoke appeared in The Evolution Solution, under the ownership of Professor Westwood V. At Seafoam Island, Ash and his friends asked for the professor’s help to figure out why Slowpoke only evolve into Slowbro whenever a Shellder clamp on their tails, a question that was giving Professor Oak a headache. Slowpoke evolved when a Shellder that Jessie caught clamped on to the Dopey Pokémon’s tail.
26. Multiple Slowpoke appeared in A Shadow of a Drought. It was revealed that Azalea Town considers Slowpoke sacred due to legends claiming that Slowpoke’s yawning can summon rain.
27. Multiple Slowpoke appeared in A Crowning Achievement. They were all trying to reach a King’s Rock to evolve into Slowking in order to help find a better habitat for the group. In this episode, a Slowpoke evolved into a Slowking when its head was bitten by a Shellder while it was wearing the King’s Rock.
28. Slowpoke debuted in Island of the Giant Pokémon. Ash’s Pokémon asked it for help when they were stranded on a beach, but it didn’t respond. It evolved into a Slowbro at the very end of the episode.