Cloyster is a dual type Water and Ice Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Shellder when exposed to a Water Stone. Take a look below for 26 awesome and fascinating facts about Cloyster.
1. Cloyster is a black, pearl like Pokemon.
2. It is encased inside a light-gray shell, which is surrounded by a second jagged, blue-violet outer shell casing.
3. It has one barb-like spike protruding from above its head, and multiple conical horns on its outer shell.
4. Its shell is harder than diamond with spikes that are even harder; harsh tidal currents will affect the size and sharpness of these spikes.
5. On its pearl-like face, it has two white eyes and a mouth.
6. Aside from its face and head, its internal anatomy has never been seen.
7. Once it has shut itself in, it is impossible to open its shell from the outside. This impressive defense allows it to withstand anything from a bomb blast to even a missile strike.
8. Cloyster typically only opens its shell to attack an opponent. However, it is fully capable of retaliating against any enemy with its shell tightly closed.
9. With rapid succession, it launches its spikes at the foe, keeping them repelled.
10. It can also attack by clamping onto an enemy with its former signature move, Clamp.
11. The same projectile system it uses to launch its spikes is also used for swimming.
12. It swallows seawater, and then ejects it towards the rear propelling it through with siphon-jet propulsion.
13. Being the result of an evolution via evolutionary stone, Cloyster is rarely found in the wild, though they can be found in the sea floor, nestled among the rocks and coral, but it will actively hunt on land for Slowpoke tails.
14. Kingler is a natural predator of Cloyster.
15. Cloyster is tied with Mega Slowbro for the highest base Defense stat of all Water-type Pokémon.
16. Cloyster and its pre-evolution share their category name with Clamperl. They are all known as the Bivalve Pokémon.
17. Cloyster appears to be based on a bivalve of the genus Spondylus with a black pearl as its head.
18. Cloyster may be a combination of clam and oyster. It may also be a play on cloister (to seclude or shelter oneself).
19. Prima was revealed to own a Cloyster in The Mandarin Island Miss Match. She used it to battle Ash and Pikachu, and it won.
20. Cloyster debuted in The Bridge Bike Gang, under the ownership of Tyra. It was used in a battle against Misty, who was going to use Starmie. However, Psyduck popped out of its Poké Ball instead, which resulted in Tyra winning the match.
21. A Cloyster appeared in Fire and Ice, under the ownership of Pete Pebbleman. It was used during the Indigo Plateau Conference. Ash battled it with Kingler, who was able to defeat Cloyster. It reappeared in a flashback in Friends to the End. Also, in the latter episode, another Trainer’s Cloyster appeared during the closing ceremonies of the Indigo Plateau Conference.
22. A Cloyster appeared in The Crystal Onix, under the ownership of Mateo. He used it to try and capture the Crystal Onix, but Water Gun had no effect and Cloyster was knocked out.
23. A Cloyster appeared in The Search for the Legend, under the ownership of Butch. It was used along with Cassidy’s Tentacruel in their attempt to capture a wild Moltres.
24. A Cloyster appeared in Staging a Heroes’ Welcome!, under the ownership of Kyle. It was used in the Performance Stage of the Wallace Cup, impressing the audience with its Spike Cannon.
25. A Cloyster appeared in The Sun, the Scare, the Secret Lair!, where Jessie tried to catch it without battling, but failed after Cloyster ate her Poké Ball. It splashed Team Rocket before swimming away, spitting the Ball out on the way.
26. A Cloyster appeared in The Battling Eevee Brothers during the evolution party in Stone Town.