Phione is a Water type Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. While it is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon, it can only be obtained by breeding Manaphy or another Phione with Ditto. It is a member of the sea guardians with Manaphy. Phione’s status as a Mythical Pokemon is often disputed, with contradiction occurring even between official sources. Take a look below for 25 interesting and fun facts about Phione.
1. Phione is a blue Pokemon with a round head and a tiny body.
2. Phione’s head is crowned by a flotation sac with a long, ribbon-like antenna.
3. Its mouth is small, and its eyes are large with blue sclerae and gray irises.
4. Above its eyes are two blue, circular markings connected to the eyes by a thin black line.
5. Its long, flipper-like arms have rounded tips.
6. Phione has a red, oval gem on its chest and a single rudimentary foot spike.
7. Phione inflates the sac on its head to drift in the water and search for food.
8. When the water grows warm, it will drift in packs with other members of its species.
9. No matter how far it has drifted, it will always return to the place where it was born.
10. Phione is the only Pokémon that is obtainable by breeding a Mythical Pokémon.
11. Breeding either Manaphy or Phione can produce a Phione Egg, but Phione can neither evolve into Manaphy nor produce Eggs that can hatch into Manaphy.
12. Phione, Nidoran♂, Nidoran♀, Illumise and Volbeat are the only Pokémon that can be obtained by breeding a Pokémon they cannot evolve into.
13. Phione has exactly the same base stats as Glalie.
14. Phione’s status as a Mythical Pokémon is disputed, with several pieces of evidence and even official statements often contradicting each other.
15. Pokémon.com’s mailbag was once asked if Phione was Legendary. The official answer was initially no, but was quickly changed to yes; the whole mailbag section has since been taken down with the restructure of Pokémon.com.
16. Phione is listed under the Mythical Pokémon section in the Pokémon 2011 Style Guide.
17. Phione is listed as a Mythical Pokémon in the Pokémon Deluxe Essential Handbook.
18. Phione was a usable Pokémon in the Circle of Legends tournament, in which only Legendary and Mythical Pokémon were allowed.
19. Phione is banned from the 2016 Video Game Championships due to being a Mythical Pokémon.
20. In the Generation VII Global Trade System, if the player chooses to exclude people seeking Mythical or Legendary Pokémon, people seeking Phione will not be displayed.
21. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver: Prima’s Official Strategy Guide states that Phione is not Legendary (a term used at the time to describe both Legendary and Mythical Pokémon) due to it being able to be obtained by hatching Eggs.
22. In Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, all Mythical Pokémon are referred to as “rare,” but Phione is not. It is also found normally in the wild.
23. Phione Eggs can be received at Day Cares and the Nursery, and it can breed to produce another Phione. This is impossible with any other Legendary and Mythical Pokémon.
24. Phione is banned from the Battle Frontier, the Battle Subway, the Pokémon World Tournament, the Battle Maison, and the Battle Tree, a rule which typically applies only to Mythical Pokémon and Special Pokémon; the only non-Mythical Pokémon to have been event-only at one point, Zorua and Zoroark, were allowed in the Battle Subway, indicating Phione’s battle facility ban may be due to it being Mythical.
25. In Pokémon Rumble Blast, Phione can only be unlocked once a certain number of customers have shopped at the Toy Shop, a trait otherwise exclusive to Legendary and Mythical Pokémon.