Bryce Dallas Howard, born March 2, 1981, is an American actress, director, producer, model, writer and daughter of actor and director Ron Howard. She attended New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, but left before graduating to take on roles on Broadway. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Bryce Dallas Howard.
1. During a performance of As You Like It where Howard portrayed Rosalind, she caught the attention of director M. Night Shyamalan, and he cast her in what would be her breakout movie, the psychological thriller The Village and then in the fantasy thriller Lady in the Water.
2. Her performance in Kenneth Branagh’s movie adaption of As You Like it earned her a Golden Globe Award nomination.
3. In 2006, Howard co-wrote and directed the short movie Orchids.
4. She became more recognizable to audiences as the vampire Victoria in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.
5. Howard was born in Los Angeles, California, to writer Cheryl Howard Crew and actor and director Ron Howard.
6. She has two younger sisters, twins Jocelyn and Paige, and a younger brother called Reed.
7. Through her fathers side of the family, Howard is the granddaughter of actors Rance Howard and Jean Speegle Howard as well as a niece of actor Clint Howard.
8. Her godfather is actor Henry Winkler, who co-starred on Happy Days with her father.
9. All of the Howard children were raised away from show business. Their parents didn’t allow them access to television and instead encouraged outdoor activities and hobbies. However, at the age of seven, Bryce was allowed to be an extra in her father’s movies.
10. In an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Howard mentioned that she and her siblings were babysat by family friend Tom Cruise on several occasions.
11. Howard attended Stagedoor Manor, a performing arts camp in upstate New York, with actress Natalie Portman.
12. After attending Greenwich Country Day School until 1996, and then graduating from Byram Hills High School in 1999, Howard studied at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts for three years, during which time she also attended the Stella Adler Conservatory, The Experimental Wing, and the International Theater Wing in Amsterdam.
13. Howard is an alumna of the Steppenwolf Theater Company’s School at Steppenwolf in Chicago, and of The Actors Center in New York City.
14. She is close friends with Natalie Portman and Jake Gyllenhaal.
15. For a long time, Howard hadn’t seen an episode of Happy Days, in which her father starred. However, in early 2006, she bought the DVD release of the show and now understands its continuing appeal.
16. Her theater credits include a vast range from classical to contemporary writers such as William Shakespeare, Anton Chekhov, and George Bernard Shaw.
17. During rehearsals at the Manhattan Theater Club, she was billing herself as “Bryce Dallas” but later had second thoughts because the name made her sound like a porn star.
18. She was a vegan from 2003 to 2006.
19. She and her three siblings were all named after placed in which they were conceived.
20. Along with the rest of the cast of The Village, she was put through a 19th century boot camp in order for them to get a good feel for the time period.
21. The actor who plays the photographer during the crane accident scene in Spider-Man 3, performed magic for her at a birthday party when she was in the second grade.
22. She was a huge fan of the Terminator franchise before she was cast in the franchise’s fourth chapter, Terminator Salvation.
23. Howard performed her own stunts during the crane accident scene in Spider-Man 3, unaware that she was pregnant at the time of filming.
24. She returned to work 6 months after giving birth to her son Theo in order to begin filming The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond.
25. She became the first celebrity face of Kate Spade New York for their 2011 advertising campaign.
26. She has remained good friends with her The Twilight Saga: Eclipse co-star Xavier Samuel.
27. Howard learned to play the piano for her part in The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond.
28. The godfather of her son Theodore is Josh Gad, who was a high school classmate of her husband, Seth Gabel.
29. She’s often mistaken for Jessica Chastain. In June 2015, Chastain posted a video of Howard on her Instagram account lip-syncing to the song “I am not Jessica Chastain,” from a video created by YouTube user “legolambs” called “JESSICA CHASTAIN: The Musical (Bryce Dallas Howard).”
30. When she was born, her father filmed her birth at Cedars Sinai, becoming one of the first people to be granted permission for such an event. He later filmed Bryce’s delivery of son Theodore at the same hospital.