Smoochum is a dual type Ice and Psychic baby Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves into Jynx starting at level 30. Take a look below for 25 fun and interesting facts about Smoochum.
1. Smoochum is a small, humanoid Pokemon that resembles a baby.
2. It has a large head with blonde hair that reaches its shoulders and has large bangs.
3. There are several tufts of hair sticking up on top of its head.
4. Its skin is light purple with a cream-colored chest, arms and feet.
5. It has large, blue-green eyes and a pair of large, pink lips.
6. These lips are sensitive enough that Smoochum uses them to identify and examine objects that it sees for the first time, and are kept moist by its daily application of tree sap.
7. When walking, Smoochum rocks its head back and forth.
8. This Pokémon is very active and runs about, although it often falls.
9. Being very conscious of its appearance, it will check its reflection when given the chance to make sure it is not dirty.
10. Smoochum is found living in cities and cold caverns.
11. Smoochum is a female-only species, with no male counterpart.
12. In Pokémon Gold and Silver, Smoochum is programmed to be able to learn Lovely Kiss through breeding, but no male Pokémon in the Human-Like Group can legitimately learn it to pass down as an Egg Move in those games. In Generation VI, Jynx would have been able to pass down the move due to changes in breeding mechanics allowing mothers to pass down Egg Moves.
13. Smoochum has the lowest base Attack and Defense of all Ice-type Pokémon.
14. Smoochum is tied with Abra for having the lowest base Defense of all Psychic-type Pokémon.
15. Smoochum may be based on ganguro, blonde-haired, tanned Japanese girls, but is meant to resemble an otherwise normal human child. Yuki-onna, a possible origin for Jynx, is sometimes shown as holding a seemingly human child. Smoochum could also be based on the legend of Kintarō, a human child raised by the Yama-uba, another possible origin of Jynx.
16. Smoochum may be derived from smooch (a kiss) and possibly chum (friend). It may also be a pun on “smooch ’em.”
17. Smoochum debuted in Pikachu & Pichu as one of the best friends of the Pichu Brothers. She made further appearances in Trouble in Big Town, Of Meowth and Pokémon, Big Meowth, Little Dreams, and Pichu Bros. in Party Panic. She also made a brief cameo appearance in Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
18. Smoochum made her main series debut in The Screen Actor’s Guilt, under the ownership of Brad Van Darn. Brad’s agent was afraid that Brad would have his image as an action star ruined if they found out that he owned a Smoochum. She was nicknamed Smoochy.
19. A Smoochum nicknamed Josephine appeared in One Trick Phony!, under the ownership of a female Trainer. She battled Pikachu, though the battle was called off after she was hit with Quick Attack.
20. A Smoochum appeared in Three Jynx and a Baby as a resident of Cremini Town. She got herself separated from a trio of Jynx sisters and stumbled upon Team Rocket. Jessie had plans on using Smoochum’s cuteness for profit, but her plans were foiled by the three Jynx sisters and Ash and his friends.
21. A Smoochum appeared in Camping It Up!, where Jessie temporarily trained it during the Pokémon Summer Academy.
22. A Smoochum appeared in The Brockster Is In!, under the ownership of Normajean. She was among the Pokémon poisoned by a group of wild Tentacruel before being saved by Brock’s Chansey‘s Softboiled.
23. A Smoochum appeared in Pathways to Performance Partnering!, under the ownership of Nini. She reappeared in A Performance Pop Quiz!, A Dancing Debut!, and Master Class Is in Session!. Nini’s Smoochum was shown to have a crush on Serena’s Pancham.
24. A Smoochum appeared in Pikachu and the Pokémon Music Squad. Pancham and Chespin both had a crush on her and competed for her feelings, but their argument was swiftly ended by Braixen.
25. A Smoochum appeared in The Power of Us, where she was among the Pokémon following Harriet around.