Slowking is a dual type Water and Psychic Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Slowpoke when traded while holding a King’s Rock. It is one of Slowpoke’s final forms, the other being Slowbro. Take a look below for 24 awesome and fascinating facts about Slowking.
1. Slowking is a bipedal Pokemon with a Shellder latched onto its head.
2. It is primarily pink, with a pale yellow muzzle and scaled belly.
3. Its feet and hands each have a single clawed digit, while the hands also have a clawless thumb.
4. Around its neck is a spiny ruff with alternating red and white stripes.
5. The Shellder on its head has a spiral shape with two horns near the base.
6. A red gem resides in the center of the Shellder.
7. Shellder’s bite releases venom into Slowpoke’s brain, causing a chemical chain-reaction that unlocks a superior intelligence and extraordinary power.
8. More venom is injected into Slowking every time it yawns.
9. The more venom the Shellder releases, the more intelligent Slowking will become. However, if the Shellder on its head comes off, it will forget everything it has learned.
10. Slowking’s intelligence can match that of a human and it constantly attempts to learn more.
11. Its inspiration and intuition are also highly developed, and Slowking is able to stay calm in any situation and plan situations with effective results.
12. In the anime, it can understand and speak the human language.
13. According to The Complete Pokémon Pocket Guide, it has such an easy-going personality that it is never stressed.
14. Slowking is rarely found in the wild, though it can be found by the water’s edge.
15. It has been seen eating seaweed and drinking coconut milk.
16. In Alola, Slowking occasionally matches wits with Oranguru by the beach.
17. In the TCG, Slowking’s Southern Islands card is the only card depicting a Pokémon introduced after Generation I to have a square evolution box, in Japan only. In English, the Southern Islands collection used the Neo-era designs, which, like all later card layouts, feature a circular evolution box.
18. Slowking shares its category name with Pyroar. They are both known as the Royal Pokémon.
19. Slowking’s shell makes it similar to hermit crabs, though it is physically similar to giant otters, giant salamanders, and hippopotamuses. Its shell “crown” may also be a reference to the mythical sazae-oni, a magical sea demon of Japanese folklore distinguished by its spiny “sazae” or “turban shaped” snail shell. It is also based on a king, as the growth around its neck is based on a king’s ruff while its shell is similar to a crown.
20. Slowking debuted in The Power of One. This talking Slowking gave Ash advice on where to find the orbs. He reappeared Slowking’s Day, where his daily activities were revealed.
21. Slowking reappeared in an alternate reality of the main series in I Choose You!.
22. Slowking made its main series debut in A Crowning Achievement, where a colony of Slowpoke were attempting to reach the King’s Rock in order to evolve into one so that they could help save the colony from a drought. The Slowpoke were faced with many problems since the King’s Rock was also surrounded by Shellder, and whenever they failed to reach it, they would evolve into a Slowbro instead. One Slowpoke nicknamed Arthur, which was owned by Alice Telesu, tried reaching the King’s Rock and eventually succeeded. In the end, he left Alice in order to be the leader of the colony. It reappeared in Larvitar and Unown’s vision in Address Unown.
23. A Slowking appeared in Tag! We’re It…! and Smells Like Team Spirit!, under the ownership of Conway. It participated in the Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition. It later reappeared in Up Close and Personable! and One Team, Two Team, Red Team, Blue Team!.
24. A Slowking appeared in the opening sequences of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and Zoroark: Master of Illusions.