Dunsparce is a Normal type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Take a look below for 24 awesome and fascinating facts about Dunsparce.
1. Dunsparce is a serpentine, and somewhat insectoid, Pokemon with a primarily yellow body, blue underside, and blue and cream striped back.
2. Its head is round with a wide mouth extending under its jowls and curving up toward the middle of its face.
3. Its chin is blue with two rounded prongs. Its eyes—round and rimmed with blue—are kept closed, revealing its cream-colored eyelids.
4. On Dunsparce’s upper back are two tiny white wings.
5. Its body ends in a drill-like tail.
6. Though Dunsparce can float slightly with its wings, it avoids detection and flees when spotted by burrowing into the ground with its tail.
7. It lives immobile in caves and beneath the earth, where it makes maze-like nests.
8. They get along with Diglett and share tunnels with each other.
9. In the anime, Dunsparce is usually shown to be much shorter than 4’11” (1.5 m), which is its listed height (or in this case, length) in the games.
10. Dunsparce was designed by Hironobu Yoshida.
11. Dunsparce appears to be based on the snake-like Tsuchinoko cryptid of Japan; it appears to be a visual pun on bachi hebi (bee snake), as the creature is known in some regions, combining bee- and snake-like features. It may also have connections to Quetzalcoatl, Amphipteres, or flying snakes.
12. Dunsparce may also draw some inspiration from sphinx moth caterpillars, also known as hornworms, which are sometimes mistaken for the Tsuchinoko. This is mostly apparent from its ring-circled eyes that resemble the eyespots of some species, combined with its horn-like tail. Its closed eyes may reference blind cave-dwelling animals.
13. Dunsparce may be a combination of dun (dark; gloomy, referring to its preferred habitat) and sparse (referring to its rarity).
14. Multiple Dunsparce debuted in The Dunsparce Deception, where an entire town was full of children owning the Land Snake Pokémon. Bucky was the only child without a Dunsparce and asked Ash and his friends for assistance. In the end, he was able to catch himself one.
15. A Dunsparce appeared in The Path That Leads to Goodbye!. Ash tried to catch it, but Iris’s Axew bumped into Ash’s Pikachu, which led to the Dunsparce escaping.
16. A Dunsparce appeared in Under the Pledging Tree!. Ash wanted to catch it, but then realized he didn’t bring any Poké Balls with him, thus letting the Land Snake Pokémon get away.
17. A Dunsparce appeared in The Legend of Thunder!.
18. A Dunsparce made a cameo appearance in Following a Maiden’s Voyage! in Ariados’s web.
19. A Coordinator’s Dunsparce appeared in Team Shocker!, where it was seen participating in the Performance Stage of the Solaceon Contest.
20. Crystal encountered a wild Dunsparce in A Flaaffy Kerfuffle. It and a Flaaffy became stranded on a boat owned by Bill. They were rescued by Crystal and captured so Professor Oak could research them.
21. A Dunsparce owned by Lostelle first appeared in A Vicious Cycle of Possibilities.
22. A Dunsparce appeared in The Final Battle V, during a flashback of Emerald’s past.
23. A Dunsparce owned by Roseanne first appeared in Well Met, Weepinbell.
24. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity: Dunsparce is a supporting character throughout the game.