Porygon2 is a Normal type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Porygon when traded holding an Up-Grade and evolves into Porygon-Z when traded holding a Dubious Disc. Take a look below for 23 fun and interesting facts about Porygon2.
1. Porygon2 is a rounded, pink, digital Pokemon that shows similarities to a drinking bird.
2. It has a relatively flat bill and large, round eyes.
3. Its legs are simple ovoid growths along its sides, and its tail widens towards the middle.
4. Its bill, legs, tail, and underside are blue.
5. It was upgraded to work in space, although its inability to fly limits this ability.
6. It is artificially intelligent, and is capable of learning new behaviors on its own, including information it does not need to know.
7. As a result, it will sometimes perform motions or abilities that are not in its programming.
8. It is generally found in computers or in labs and other buildings working with people.
9. It can survive in a space vacuum, though cannot move very well in zero-gravity. Porygon2 and its evolutionary family, Porygon and Porygon-Z, are the only known Pokémon that learn Conversion and Conversion 2.
10. Porygon2 is the only Pokémon with a numeral in its name.
11. In the Generation II games, it is impossible to return a nicknamed Porygon2 to its species name, because the character 2 is not available as a character for nicknames.
12. Porygon2 has the highest base stat total of all second-stage Pokémon.
13. Like Porygon, it is based on a bird (possibly an origami crane) made with more advanced 3D computer graphics software than the first Porygon. The head looks like a duck.
14. It also resembles a drinking bird, especially in the 3D games, where it makes the same movement as one. The change in form by evolution from Porygon to Porygon2 represents the concept of subdivision in 3D computer graphics.
15. Porygon2 is a combination of polygon and 2, with Porygon being a corruption of polygon. 2 may be a reference to software versioning, as it is the second “stable release”—an upgraded version—of Porygon.
16. Porygon2 made its unofficial anime debut in the English dub as stock-art in the Johto Pokérap.
17. Porygon2’s lone physical appearance was in Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice. It made a cameo in the “World of Pokémon” opening, in which every Pokémon from the first five generations (apart from Genesect) appeared.
18. Due to the EP038 incident, Porygon2 has not appeared in an episode of the anime, and it is the only Generation II Pokémon not to appear. Along with its evolved form, Porygon-Z, it is also the only Pokémon prior to Generation VII that is neither Legendary nor Mythical to not appear in an episode of the anime.
19. Porygon2 debuted in Forretress of Solitude, under the ownership of the Pokémon Association. It was used to test Red to become Viridian City’s Gym Leader.
20. Blue bought a Porygon in Celadon City, which was quite disobedient to its new Trainer, but became an integral part of his team later. Prior to Playful Porygon2, it evolved into Porygon2 and battled with Silver’s Sneasel. It again appeared in the FireRed & LeafGreen chapter, where its ability to integrate itself into any electronic network proved handy in freeing Professor Oak and Green’s parents. 20.
21. A Porygon2 appeared in Weavile Wobbles But It Won’t Fall Down, under the ownership of a Roughneck at the Safari Zone.
22. A Porygon2 appeared in GDZ56.
23. A Porygon2 appeared in Pokémon HeartGold SoulSilver: Pokédex Completion Comic.