North Powder is a city in Union County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 10 obscure and fun facts about North Powder, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 439 at the 2010 census.
2. North Powder was platted in 1885 or 1886 along the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company rail line, having been a stage stop before then.
3. David Eccles, a Mormon businessman, created the Hall Brothers Lumber Company in the town once the railway arrived.
4. North Powder prospered because it had an icehouse that supplied the refrigerator cars of Pacific Fruit Express until the icehouse burned down in the 1930s.
5. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.64 square miles (1.66 km2), all of it land.
6. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, North Powder has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 439 people, 184 households, and 111 families living in the city. The population density was 685.9 inhabitants per square mile (264.8/km2).
8. There were 214 housing units at an average density of 334.4 per square mile (129.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 92.5% White, 0.5% African American, 1.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 2.3% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.9% of the population.
9. There were 184 households, of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.5% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.7% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 3.10.
10. The median age in the city was 43.1 years. 26.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 3.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.2% were from 25 to 44; 31.4% were from 45 to 64; and 17.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.1% male and 51.9% female.