Donphan is a Ground type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolve from Phanpy starting at level 25. Take a look below for 24 fun and interesting facts about Donphan.
1. Donphan is a gray, elephant like Pokemon with a thick, black band of hide running down the length of its back and extending to the tip of its long trunk.
2. When this Pokémon curls up, the band resembles a car tire.
3. This tough hide prevents regular attacks from inflicting even a scratch.
4. A pair of white tusks, which are smaller on the female, extend from the corners of its mouth.
5. It has thin, elongated ears held out almost perpendicular to its body.
6. Its four short legs are each encircled with a broken, black band and have three toes.
7. Donphan has the ability to curl up into a ball and violently roll around like a wheel.
8. These rolling tackles are strong enough to knock down a house.
9. Once it starts its rampage, it will be almost unstoppable.
10. The anime shows that this ability is further used as a form of courtship.
11. The male Donphan have rolling competitions to demonstrate their toughness to the females.
12. It has been demonstrated that Donphan has a keen sense of smell, capable of sniffing out a gem known as amberite.
13. Donphan travels in herds with a ranking system.
14. The larger its tusks, the higher its rank in the herd.
15. It lives in rough, mountainous terrain.
16. Donphan shares its category with Tyranitar. They are both known as the Armor Pokémon.
17. Donphan and Ursaring, along with their pre-evolutions, are the only Pokémon to swap version-exclusive status between localizations. While Phanpy and Donphan are found only in the Japanese and Korean Gold, they are not found in Gold in other languages, being found in the Silver Version of those languages instead, with Teddiursa and Ursaring getting the opposite treatment. This is corrected in the remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver, where they follow the Japanese and Korean Gold and Silver.
18. Donphan appears to have been based on an adult elephant, although it resembles the tire of an automobile when curled up or using its trademark Rollout attack.
19. As both Phanpy and Donphan are much smaller compared to humans than conventional African or Asian elephants, they may have actually been inspired by the dwarf elephant or the pygmy elephant.
20. Donphan and Donfan are a combination of don and elephant. Don may refer to lord; a root word meaning teeth, referring to its tusks; or mastodon, a prehistoric elephant. Don may have also been included to reflect Donphan’s robust physique and great strength, especially in comparison to Phanpy.
21. In Reversing the Charges, Ash’s Phanpy evolved into Donphan. It proved to be an excellent member of his team, showing its strength in every battle.
22. Donphan debuted briefly in the beginning of Mewtwo Strikes Back, under the ownership of Raymond. It battled Ash’s Bulbasaur and managed to land two successive hits with Rollout, only to then defeated by Bulbasaur’s Solar Beam. At the time, Donphan was an unknown Pokémon. It reappeared in Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution, a remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back, where it played the same role.
23. Four Donphan made their main series debut in Roll On, Pokémon!, under the ownership of Rochelle. She would use them to find amberite.
24. Multiple Donphan appeared in Date Expectations, including a Shiny one. The Shiny Donphan was the center of romantic attention for the other Donphan. Ash and his friends eventually helped one such Donphan mate with the Shiny Donphan.