Torterra is a dual type Grass and Ground Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves from Grotle starting at level 32. It is the final form of Turtwig. Take a look below for 22 fun and fascinating facts about Torterra.
1. Torterra is a tall and bulky quadruped Pokemon resembling a tortoise, with a large shell covering its back.
2. There is a single, oak-like tree and three triangular, stony extensions resembling mountain peaks on the top of the shell.
3. There is a patch of brown, resembling soil, next to the tree.
4. A white rim surrounds the shell, and forms a diamond-shaped continuation on the front.
5. Torterra’s body appears sectioned, with the upper half being green and the lower half brown.
6. Its mouth is jagged and at the end of its snout is a dark brown beak, giving it the appearance of a snapping turtle.
7. Its lower jaw is green and there are two large spikes protruding from its cheeks.
8. Torterra’s small, red eyes are encircled by a black ring.
9. Its legs are thick and they have four toes each, which appear as if they are actually jagged stones.
10. There are three toes on the front and one on the heel.
11. Torterra’s large and clean shell supports the lives of many small Pokémon, which occasionally gather and build their nests upon the shell.
12. Some are born and spend their entire life there.
13. Torterra migrate in search of water, creating the illusion of “moving forests”. However, it is typically immobile.
14. Torterra shares its category with Groudon. They are both known as the Continent Pokémon.
15. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Torterra.
16. When walking to the right in Amity Square, Torterra’s sprite erroneously shows its left side.
17. Torterra is the heaviest final form of a starter Pokémon, weighing 683.4 lbs. (310.0 kg).
18. Torterra appears to be based on a snapping turtle and an ankylosaur, which is an armored dinosaur. Its large features and spikes may also be inspired by extinct Meiolania and Proganochelys turtles. In concept, it may be based on the World Turtle from various mythologies that carries the world upon its back.
19. Torterra may be a combination of tortoise and terra (Latin for ground).
20. Ash’s Torterra debuted in The Fleeing Tower of Sunyshore!, when his Grotle evolved into it during a battle with Team Rocket.
21. Torterra made its main series debut was in Top-Down Training, where it was revealed to be Paul’s starter Pokémon. It later helped Ash’s Grotle cope with its reduced Speed in Aiding the Enemy.
22. Torterra debuted in The Rise of Darkrai, under the ownership of a Coordinator named Maury. It battled against Ash’s Pikachu, and also tried to stop Darkrai. It was later used in the Battle Stage of the Alamos Contest, where it faced off against Kai’s Empoleon.