Empoleon is a dual type Water and Steel Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves from Prinplup starting at level 36. It is the final form of Piplup. Take a look below for 21 awesome and interesting facts about Empoleon.
1. Empoleon is a large, navy blue, penguin like Pokemon.
2. It has a wide, yellow beak that extends upward into three pointed horns that form a trident-shaped crest bracketing blue eyes.
3. Large horns are a symbol of leadership and strength for Empoleon.
4. There is a blue marking resembling a crown over its eyes and a white, lacy marking running down its chest.
5. A blue, fin-like projection forms a collar around its throat and runs down the length of its chest and belly.
6. On its back are two raised, gold bumps and a second blue fin that forms its tail.
7. Its yellow feet are webbed with three toes each and its feathers form ruffs above its feet.
8. It has wide, flipper-like wings rimmed with blue along the tips, and three golden claws.
9. The edges of these wings can slice through ice floes, and this Pokémon will use them to attack anyone or anything that damages its pride.
10. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Empoleon.
11. Empoleon is roughly the same height as its namesake Napoleon Bonaparte.
12. Empoleon is based on an emperor penguin and an emperor in reference to its crown and royal appearance. Also, the crown has the appearance of a trident, a fishing tool and supposed weapon of choice for the Greek god Poseidon. It also bears some resemblance to the royal penguin.
13. Empoleon is a combination of emperor (as in emperor penguin), pole (as in the South Pole), and Napoleon (a famous emperor of France).
14. Empoleon made its main series debut in Barry’s Busting Out All Over!, under the ownership of Barry.
15. Kenny’s Prinplup was revealed to have evolved into Empoleon during the Performance Stage of the Sinnoh Grand Festival in Last Call — First Round!.
16. Empoleon debuted in The Rise of Darkrai, under the ownership of a Coordinator named Kai. It was used in a battle against Dawn’s Piplup, and also tried to stop Darkrai together with Allegra’s Infernape and Maury’s Torterra. It was later used in the Battle Stage of the Alamos Contest.
17. An Empoleon appeared in A Full Battle Bounty!, under the ownership of Professor Kukui. It was the fourth Pokémon Kukui used in his Full Battle against Ash. It first went up against Pikachu, causing serious damage to him before Ash switched to Melmetal, which defeated Empoleon.
18. An Empoleon appeared in SS008, under the ownership of Masaya. It was among the Pokémon participating in the Pokémon Drift Ice Race before being targeted by Team Rocket.
19. An Empoleon appeared in The Semi-Final Frontier!, under the ownership of a Trainer who went up against Tobias in the Lily of the Valley Conference semifinals. It battled his Darkrai off-screen, but as with the other five Pokémon owned by its Trainer, it was easily defeated by the Pitch-Black Pokémon.
20. In Great Gible, Platinum’s Empoleon evolved in the Veilstone Department Store while her two companions and the bodyguards assigned to protect her were fighting off Team Galactic. It proved to be an invaluable ally in the Pastoria Gym challenge, and has continued as an integral part of her team.
21. Hareta owns an Empoleon that evolved in (Violent) Earthquake! Cyrus’s Consuming Ambition after the effects of the Everstone Mitsumi gave to it wore off, which caused Piplup to evolve straight into an Empoleon, only being Prinplup for a moment. His Empoleon was valuable in the Mt. Coronet battle and risked its life to stop Cyrus.