American Canyon is a city located in southern Napa County, California, 35 miles (56 km) northeast of San Francisco in the San Francisco Bay Area. Take a look below for 15 fun and awesome facts about American Canyon, California, United States.
1. The 2010 census reported the city’s population at 19,454.
2. Its ZIP Code is 94503, and its area code is 707.
3. It is in the Pacific Time time zone and observes Daylight-Saving Time. The city was incorporated in 1992.
4. American Canyon is bounded geographically by the Napa River to the west, the foothills of the Sulfur Springs Mountains to the east, Vallejo and Solano County to the south and vineyards and the Napa County Airport (IATA airport code APC) to the north.
5. American Canyon Creek, a tributary of the Napa River, runs through the city.
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 99.83% is land and 0.17% is water.
7. The unincorporated community of Napa Junction is adjacent to the city.
8. On August 24, 2014, at 3:20 a.m., the area was struck by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake centered 3.7 miles (6.0 km) northwest of the city.
9. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F.
10. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, American Canyon has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
11. American Canyon is the second most populous city in Napa County, after the City of Napa.
12. Major employers in American Canyon include Owens Corning Masonry Products and Mezzetta.
13. The mayor of American Canyon is popularly elected to a four-year term. The current mayor is Leon Garcia. City Council members are elected to four-year terms, and select one of their members to serve as vice mayor.
14. The other current City Council members are Mariam Aboudamous, Mark Joseph, David Oro, and Kenneth Leary. Leon Garcia is serving his fourth term as mayor, and Mark Joseph is the vice mayor.
15. In the California State Legislature, American Canyon is in the 3rd Senate District, represented by Democrat Bill Dodd, and in the 4th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Cecilia Aguiar-Curry.