Amador City (formerly, Amadore’s Creek and South Amador) is a city in Amador County, California, United States. Take a look below for 15 awesome and fun facts about Amador City, California, United States.
1. The population was 185 at the 2010 census, down from 196 at the 2000 census, making it the least populous city in California, compared to other cities.
2. Amador City is noted for being the smallest city in California by area.
3. Amador City is located at WikiMiniAtlas38°25′10″N 120°49′27″WCoordinates: 38°25′10″N 120°49′27″W.
4. Only two miles from Sutter Creek on Old Highway 49, Amador City is the state’s smallest incorporated city by area.
5. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all of which is land, making it the smallest city in California by size.
6. Amador City was originally settled in 1849 at what is now Turner Road and Amador Creek ( an old wagon road between Drytown and Sutter Creek) by several groups of gold panners who were drawn to the area looking for their lucky strike.
7. One of the groups was the Sunol Group.
8. The Sunol group included José María Amador. José María Amador panned the creek however his main success was providing supplies that he brought up from his rancheria in the San Ramon area.
9. José María Amador left the group after six months to return to his rancheria which suffered the exodus to the Sierra’s and to care for his ailing wife.
10. José María Amador must have made a significant impression among the other panners in the area. The creek, city and County would eventually carry the name “Amador”, the city taking its name from the county.
11. Early in 1851 gold quartz veins were discovered along the same creek but further west. Arrastras were brought to the area to crush the quartz.
12. Shortly stamps mills were brought up to handle the hard quartz that the gold veins were embedded in.
13. By September two stamp mills were erected along the Amador Creek.
14. These stamp mills were so remarkable that it drew the attention of Eadweard Muybridge. He photographed the area and 3D images taken in 1851 were made of the stamp mills.
15. Amador City was incorporated into a city on June 2, 1915.