Julia Fiona Roberts is an American actress and producer. She became a Hollywood star after headlining the romantic comedy Pretty Woman, which grossed $464 million worldwide. She has won three Golden Globe Awards and has been nominated for four Academy Awards for her acting, winning the Academy Awards for Best Actress for her performance in Erin Brockovich. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about Julia Roberts.
1. Roberts’ movies have collectively brought box office receipts of over $2.8 billion, making her one of the most successful actresses in terms of box office receipts.
2. Her most successful movies include Mystic Pizza, Steel Magnolias, Pretty Woman, Sleeping with the Enemy, The Pelican Brief, My Best Friend’s Wedding, Notting Hill, Runaway Bride, Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve, Charlie Wilson’s War, Valentine’s Day, Eat Prey Love, Money Monster, and Wonder.
3. Roberts received the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie nomination for her performance in the HBO television movie The Normal Heart.
4. She was the highest paid actress throughout most of the 1990s, and in the first half of the 2000s.
5. Her fee for Pretty Woman was $300,000; while in 2003, she was paid an unprecedented $25 million for her role in Mona Lisa Smile.
6. As of 2007, Roberts’s net worth was estimated to be $140 million.
7. She has been named People Magazine’s World’s Most Beautiful Woman a record five times.
8. Her major break came when she starred as the vulnerable Daisy in the 1988 movie Mystic Pizza.
9. In 1987, she starred in Satisfaction alongside Liam Neeson. Although the movie didn’t do well, they fell in love and moved in together. She was 19 and he was 35 at the time. They broke up a year later.
10. Roberts’ parents were both actors who rank a workshop for aspiring writers and performers until their divorce in 1971.
11. She gave birth to twins, her first and second child, at age 37, a son Phinnaeus Moder and a daughter Hazel Moder on November 28, 2004. Their father is her second husband, Daniel Moder.
12. She has English, German, Swedish, Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry.
13. Roberts was engaged to her Steel Magnolias co-star, Dylan McDermott. She ended the relationship with McDermott in 1990 and started dating Kiefer Sutherland.
14. As a child, Roberts used to bite her toenails off instead of clipping them. In 2002, she told Movieline that she was “very limber.”
15. She turned down the female lead in Shakespeare in Love, which went to Gwyneth Paltrow and led her to win an Academy Award for the role.
16. In 1996, Roberts appeared on an episode of Friends. A few weeks before the show aired, she was spotted in Los Angeles with Matthew Perry, who she dated briefly.
17. Before dreaming of becoming an actress, she wanted to be a veterinarian.
18. Roberts wanted to name her son, Henry or George, but didn’t because she thought that people would think she named him after George Clooney.
19. After George Clooney and Brad Pitt found out that she was going to be joining them in Ocean’s Eleven, they sent her a card that read, “We heard that you get 20 per film,” and in it was a $20 bill. It was funny because at the time, she reportedly earned $20 million per film.
20. After graduating from high school in 1985, Roberts moved to New York City to live with her sister, Lisa, who, along with Roberts’s brother, Eric, was pursuing an acting career.
21. Roberts wasn’t actually featured on the cover for the movie Pretty Woman. Her head was actually superimposed on body double Shelley Michelle.
22. The infamous necklace scene wasn’t actually planned in Pretty Woman. Roberts wasn’t feeling well so to make her laugh, Richard shut the case and her reaction was so perfect that they kept it in the movie.
23. She’s known to lie on her back to have her make up applied before going onto a film set. She does this because she says that it gives her a relaxed look.
24. Julia Roberts and Daniel Moder first met on the set of The Mexican, which she starred in alongside Brad Pitt.
25. She was forced to deliver her twins via emergency Cesarean section 8 days ahead of their due date following a difficult pregnancy.
26. A 9,000 year old female skeleton excavated in Bulgaria in November, 2004, was called by the archaeologists “Julia Roberts” because of the perfect teeth that it had.
27. She has worked with both Hector Elizondo and Richard Gere in two different movies, first in Pretty Woman and then again in Runaway Bride.
28. Since Erin Brockovich-Ellis is right handed and Roberts is not, she had to learn to use her right hand for the movie.
29. She has a song titled “Julia” which is written about her. Canadian singer-songwriter Chantal Kreviazuk wrote the song after seeing her at a Los Angeles restaurant.
30. Roberts’ production company “Red Om” films is her husband Danny’s last name reversed.