Dave Navarro is an American guitarist, singer, songwriter, presenter and actor. Navarro is a member of the alternative rock band Jane’s Addiction and a former member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He also released one solo album called Trust No One. Navarro has also been a member of the Jane’s Addiction spin-off bands, Deconstruction and The Panic Channel. Take a look below for 31 more fun and interesting facts about Dave Navarro.
1. Navarro was born in Santa Monica, California, on June 7, 1967, the son of James Raul Navarro and Constance Colleen Hopkins.
2. His paternal grandparents were Mexican immigrants.
3. His grandfather Gabriel Navarro was close friends with Mexican silent film actor Ramón Novarro, who allegedly adopted his artistic surname.
4. He attended Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California, where he was a member of the marching band with future Jane’s Addiction bandmate Stephen Perkins.
5. Navarro’s mother was murdered by her ex-boyfriend, John Riccardi, in March 1983. Riccardi was arrested in 1991, thanks to a viewer tip after Riccardi was featured on the television series America’s Most Wanted.
6. During his appearance on America’s Most Wanted in 2004, Navarro stated that he was supposed to visit and stay with his mother on the night of her murder but at the last minute went to stay with his father.
7. In 2015, Navarro released the documentary Mourning Son, which details his mother’s murder and his spiral into drug addiction, as well as the pain he has had to overcome in the years since her death.
8. Navarro has been married three times: celebrity makeup artist Tania Goddard-Saylor (June 1990 – 1992, divorced), Rhian Gittins (October 15, 1994 – October 20, 1994, annulled), and model and actress, Carmen Electra (November 22, 2003 – February 20, 2007, divorced).
9. Navarro has stated he is supporting Marianne Williamson as a candidate for the 2020 democratic presidential primaries.
10. On his Instructional Guitar DVD Navarro tells how he started playing guitar at the age of seven after hearing a Jimi Hendrix song at a skate park.
11. Navarro joined the band Jane’s Addiction in 1986 as the lead guitarist after he was recommended to vocalist Perry Farrell by drummer Stephen Perkins, who was a childhood friend of Navarro’s.
12. After the departure of Guns N’ Roses’ original rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin in August 1991, Navarro was the first choice of lead singer Axl Rose to replace Stradlin; despite four attempts to have him come in and play with Slash, he never showed up.
13. In 1993, Navarro formed Deconstruction with Jane’s Addiction’s Eric Avery on vocals and bass and Michael Murphy on drums. The band put out one self-titled album in 1994.
14. Navarro joined Red Hot Chili Peppers in September 1993.
15. His first large-scale performance with the band was at Woodstock ’94.
16. The only album on which Navarro played with Red Hot Chili Peppers, One Hot Minute, was released in 1995.
17. The band later recorded and released a cover of the Ohio Players’ song “Love Rollercoaster” for the Beavis and Butthead Do America soundtrack, which was released as a single.
18. In 1995, Navarro played guitar for Alanis Morissette‘s track “You Oughta Know” on one of the 1990s’ most successful albums, Jagged Little Pill.
19. Navarro also remixed Janet Jackson’s “What’ll I Do” for her Janet Remixed album in this time.
20. The album, Trust No One, marked his solo debut in the summer of 2001 for Capitol Records.
21. In 2003, he and his fiancée, Carmen Electra, agreed to have their wedding preparations filmed for an MTV show titled Til Death Do Us Part; Camp Freddy played at the reception.
22. Navarro’s book, Don’t Try This at Home, was released on October 5, 2004 with Regan books, and quickly became a Los Angeles Times bestseller.
23. Navarro appeared in two tournaments on Celebrity Poker Showdown in 2004.
24. In the third tournament of the series, he won his qualifying game and appeared in the championship round. In the fourth series, he appeared only in a qualifying round.
25. Navarro co-hosted with Brooke Burke, two seasons of the Mark Burnett television series: Rock Star: INXS and Rock Star: Supernova.
26. In 2007, Navarro also teamed with Teravision to direct his first adult movie, Broken starring Sasha Grey, in the first of a planned series of celebrity-directed adult movies.
27. During August 2009, Navarro toured southern California as part of the Billy Corgan-led band Spirits in the Sky.
28. In 2010, he posed naked for PETA’s anti-fur campaign, “Ink Not Mink”. He stripped down again for the group’s anti animal-testing campaign in 2013.
29. In 2011, Navarro appeared as the “Director” of a Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp, playing a complicated passage for a ‘camper’ to emulate, in a commercial for Citibank.
30. Navarro appeared in four episodes of the FX drama Sons of Anarchy in 2012 and appeared as a guest on an episode of Talking Dead.
31. During the first few years of Jane’s Addiction, Dave played a black Gibson Les Paul. Around the time of the band’s major label debut Nothing’s Shocking in 1988, he played Ibanez RG series guitars, including one customs painted with the album cover art.