Tara Leigh Patrick, better known by her stage name Carmen Electra, is an American glamour model, actress, television personality, singer and dancer. She began her career as a singer after moving to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she met Prince, who produced her debut record. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Carmen Electra.
1. She relocated to Los Angeles, California, to pursue a career as an actress, gaining notoriety for her role as Lani McKenzie on the television series “Baywatch.”
2. She made her film debut in the horror comedy “American Vampire”, and has had roles in multiple parody films, including “Scary Movie,” “Date Movie,” “Epic Movie,” “Meet the Spartans,” and “Disaster Movie.”
3. Electra has also appeared as a model in Playboy magazine, and worked as a dancer with the Pussycat Dolls.
4. Electra was born Tara Leigh Patrick on April 20, 1972 in Sharonville, Ohio, to Harry Patrick, a guitarist and entertainer, and his wife Patricia, a singer.
5. The youngest of six children, she has four brothers and one sister, Electra attended Ann Weigel Elementary School and studied dance under Gloria J. Simpson at Dance Artists studio in Western Hills until age nine, when she enrolled in the School for Creative and Performing Arts, a magnet arts school in the Cincinnati Public School District.
6. There, she was an older classmate of Nick Lachey, with whom she appeared in a production of “Peter Pan.”
7. Electra, who told People Magazine in 1997 that she’d “wanted to dance on Broadway,” graduated from Princeton High School in Sharonville in 1990, having transferred there from SCPA two years prior.
8. Additionally, Electra attended and graduated from Barbizon Modeling and Acting School in Cincinnati.
9. Electra is of Dutch, English, German, and Irish descent, and was very close to her family.
10. She said of her mother, “My mom was my rock,” and described her older sister Debbie as being “like a second mother to me”.
11. After Debbie moved to Illinois, Electra said her life “revolved around my mom.
12. She was my best friend, in my life 24/7 whether I wanted her there or not.”
13. Electra started her professional career in 1990 as a dancer at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio, in the show “It’s Magic”, one of the more popular shows in the park’s history.
14. In 1991, she moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she met singer and songwriter Prince.
15. Soon after, Electra signed a recording contract with Prince’s Paisley Park Records and began a short-lived singing career.
16. During her time at Paisley Park Records, she officially became known as Carmen Electra.
17. In 1995, Electra started appearing in television shows.
18. In May 1996, she was featured in a nude pictorial in Playboy magazine, the first of several. This exposure led to higher profile television appearances, including “Baywatch” and MTV’s “Singled Out.”
19. Electra was featured in Playboy four more times: June 1997, December 2000, April 2003, and the January 2009 anniversary issue. She was on the cover of the last three of these issues.
20. In 1997, Electra appeared in the films “American Vampire” and “Good Burger.”
21. In 1997, Electra modeled for the covers of the comic books “Razor and the Ladies of London Night” by London Night Studios.
22. In August 1998, Electra’s mother died of brain cancer, and two weeks later, her older sister, Debbie, died of a heart attack.
23. During this time, Electra had been dating NBA star Dennis Rodman. She and Rodman wed in November 1998 at Little Chapel of the Flowers in Las Vegas, Nevada.
24. Nine days later, Rodman filed for annulment, claiming he was of “unsound mind” when the pair wed.
25. On November 22, 2003, Electra married Dave Navarro, lead guitarist for the rock band Jane’s Addiction.
26. The couple documented their courtship and marriage in an MTV reality television show called “‘Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave.”
27. On July 17, 2006, she and Navarro announced their separation, and Electra filed for divorce on August 10, 2006; it was finalized on February 20, 2007.
28. In April 2008, Electra’s representative confirmed that she was engaged to Rob Patterson, a member of the nu metal band Otep and hard rock band Filter.
29. Despite remaining engaged for several years, the couple did not wed and in 2012, she appeared as one of the celebrity bachelorettes on the TV dating show “The Choice.”
30. Electra is godmother to Lyrik London, the son of actor Jeremy London and his estranged wife Melissa Cunningham.