Priyanka Chopra, born July 18, 1982, is an Indian actress, singer, film producer, philanthropist, and the winner of the Miss World 2000 pageant. She is one of India’s highest paid and most popular celebrities. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Priyanka Chopra.
1. Chopra has received numerous awards, including a National Film Award and Filmfare Awards in five categories.
2. In 2016, the Government of India honored her with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award and Time Magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world.
3. In 2017, Forbes Magazine listed her among the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
4. Although Chopra initially aspired to study aeronautical engineering or criminal psychology, she accepted offers to join the Indian film industry, which came as a result of her pageant wins, making her Bollywood debut in The Hero: Love Story of a Spy.
5. She played the leading lady in the box office hits Andaaz and Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and received critical acclaim for her breakout role in the 2004 thriller Aitraaz.
6. In 2006, Chopra established herself as a leading actress of Indian cinema with starring roles in the top grossing productions Krrish and Don.
7. In 2015, she began starring as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller series Quantico, becoming the first South Asian to headline an American network drama series.
8. In addition to her acting career, Chopra is noted for her philanthropic work. She has worked with UNICEF for the last ten years and was appointed as the national and global UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights in 2010 and 2016 respectively.
9. She promoted various causes such as environment, health and education, and women’s rights and is particularly vocal about gender equality and feminism.
10. She’s the founder of the production company Purple Pebble Pictures, which released the acclaimed Marathi comedy-drama Ventilator.
11. Priyanka Chopra was born in Jamshedpur, Bihar, to Ashok and Madhu Chopra, both physicians in the Indian Army.
12. Her father was a Punjabi from Ambala. Her mother, from Jharkhand, is the eldest daughter of Ms. Madhu Jyotsna Akhouri, a former member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly, and Dr. Manohar Kishan Akhouri, a former Congress veteran.
13. Chopra has a brother, Siddharth, who is seven years her junior and actresses Parineeti Chopra, Meera Chopra and Mannara Chopra are her cousins.
14. She is the only Indian in the United States to have been selected at the state level for the National Opus Honor Choir, for her extensive charity work back in Indian and the U.S., and joined the CAF and CII in their literacy program and is their ambassador.
15. While shooting the song “Do Me A Favor, Let’s Play Holi” in the movie Waqt: The Race Against Time, she stepped on a live wire and received a shock. She was hospitalized for a day.
16. Chopra did her schooling from La Martiniere in Lucknow. She completed tenth grade in Boston and wanted to become a software engineer or a criminal psychologist.
17. Her father, Ashok Chopra, who also manages her career, was diagnosed with a tumor in his liver. He had to undergo a complicated emergency surgery.
18. In 2006, she was listed at number 1 by U.K. magazine Eastern Eye as one of Asia’s Sexiest Women.
19. In 2006, she appeared on the cover of the premiere issue of Maxim Magazine, Indian version.
20. In 2006, a toy company in England created a fashion doll based on Chopra’s name and image. It was part of the Bollywood Legend series, which also included stars Hrithik Roshani, Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol. The dolls are now considered rare collectors items.
21. In 2014, she sent a legal notice to her ex-boyfriend Aseem Merchant. This was because Aseem was going to make a biopic on her ex-secretary Prakash Jaju. Priyanka thought it would be an invasion of her privacy since the movie would also include her personal problems with Prakash.
22. She’s a huge fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar and her famous series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
23. Chopra maintains a homeland residence in Mumbai, India, since she commutes so regularly between the United States and India to appear in various movie and television projects in both countries.
24. She has a tattoo on her right wrist that reads, “Daddy’s little girl,” in her late father’s handwriting.
25. Chopra is passionate about doing her own stunts where it’s safe and feasible.
26. When she was 13 years old, Chopra moved to the United States to study, living with her aunt, and attending schools in Newton, Massachusetts, and Cedar Rapids, Iowa, after a stop in Queens, New York, as her aunt’s family also moved frequently.
27. During her teenage years in the United States, Chopra sometimes faced racial issues and was bullied for being Indian by an African American classmate.
28. Chopra has maintained a strong relationship with her family, including her younger brother, Siddharth, and lives in an apartment on the same floor as her family.
29. Having not come from a film background, she describes herself as a self-made woman.
30. Chopra is particularly known in the Indian media and film industry for her professionalism and is often referred to as “Piggy Chops,” a nickname given to her by co-stars on the set of Bluffmaster! in 2005.