John Burke Krasinski, born October 20, 1979, is an American actor, screenwriter, producer and director. He’s most widely known for his role as Jim Halpert on the NBC sitcom The Office, for which he received critical acclaim and won a number of awards. He also served as a producer and occasional director of the series. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about John Krasinski.
1. Krasinski’s film credits include License to Wed, Leatherheads, Away We Go, It’s Complicated, Something Borrowed, Big Miracle, Promised Land, Aloha, and 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.
2. He directed and starred in Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, The Hollars and A Quiet Place, in which he starred with his wife, Emily Blunt.
3. In 2018, Krasinski was included on Time’s annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.
4. Krasinski was born at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, in the Brighton neighborhood of Boston, to Mary Clare, a nurse, and Ronald Krasinki, an internist. His father is Polish American and his mother is Irish American.
5. He made his stage debut as Daddy Warbucks in a sixth grade school production of the musical Annie. Afterwards, he co-starred in a satirical play written and cast by his future The Office co-star B.J. Novak when they were high school seniors.
6. Before entering college, Krasinki taught English as a foreign language in Costa Rica.
7. Krasinksi went to Brown University, studying theater arts under Lowry Marsh and John Emigh, and graduating in 2001 as a playwright with the honors thesis “Contents Under Pressure.”
8. During his time at Brown University, Krasinski was a member of the sketch comedy group Out of Bounds.
9. In college, Krasinski helped coach youth basketball at the Gordon School in East Providence, Rhode Island.
10. Krasinski graduated from Brown University in 2001 as an honors playwright with a B.A. in English literature.
11. He was once a script intern on Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
12. He’s friends with David Schwimmer, with whom he worked in Duane Hopwood.
13. Krasinski interned at Hill Holliday advertising agency, where he worked on Dunkin’ Donuts commercials.
14. At 6’3”, he’s the shortest among his siblings, with his brothers being 6’6” and 6’10”, respectively.
15. Krasinski’s brother Kevin, the oldest, is a doctor and his brother Paul, the middle, is a strategic consultant.
16. In the 2007 movie License to Wed, the characters of Ben’s parents are played by Krasinski’s real life parents.
17. Krasinski announced his engagement to actress Emily Blunt on August 28, 2009. They have been together since November, 2008.
18. Stanley Tucci is his wife’s brother-in-law after he married her sister Felicity Blunt in August, 2012.
19. Krasinski became a father for the first time at age 34 when his wife, Emily Blunt, gave birth to their daughter, Hazel Krasinski, on February 16, 2014.
20. His paternal grandparents, Leo Krasinksi and Regina L. Wajozynski, were of Polish descent. His maternal grandparents, Edward Joseph Doyle and Eileen Goggin Burke, were of Irish ancestry.
21. His first ever screen kiss occurred with co-star Jenna Fischer in The Office: Casino Night.
22. Krasinski’s wife, Emily Blunt, gave birth to their second child, a second daughter, Violet, on June 20, 2016.
23. In an interview with Conan O’Brien, he stated that he became discouraged during his screen test for the role of Captain America, after meeting Chris Hemsworth on the same set.
24. Both he and his wife, Emily Blunt, have starred in a movie with Meryl Streep separately.
25. His childhood crushes were Molly Ringwald and Vanna White.
26. Krasinski wasn’t a fan of horror movies before direction and starring in A Quiet Place. He told the Guardian that he is, “kind of a scaredy cat.”
27. Krasinski and his wife, Emily Blunt, met through a mutual friend at a restaurant and he took her to a gun range for their first date. One of the first things he said to her was, “I just want to get it out of the way – I’m a huge fan of yours.”
28. Krasinski was originally told to read for Dwight Schrute on The Office, but he insisted that he was a better fit for Jim. When this was relayed to the casting people, they told his manager he could, “shove it up his ass,” because, “this dude’s done nothing, he’s lucky to be coming in.”
29. During the audition process for The Office, Krasinski whispered into Jenna Fischer’s ear, “You’re my favorite Pam. I hope you get it.” When Fischer was told that she was cast as Pam, she asked if John had been cast as Jim and then cried tears of joy when she was told that he was.
30. Krasinski almost ruined his chances of being cast on The Office. When a man in the audition waiting room asked Krasinski if he was nervous, Krasinski told him, “I love the British show so much and Americans have a tendency to just really screw these opportunities up. I don’t know how I’ll live with myself if they ruin it for me.” The man then revealed himself to be Greg Daniels, the show’s creator.