Emily Olivia Leah Blunt, born on February 23, 1983, is an English actress. She’s the recipient of several accolades, including one Golden Globe Award and has been nominated for two competitive British Academy Film Awards. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about Emily Blunt.
1. Emily Blunt has been educated in the performing arts at the Hurtwood House in Dorking. She made her acting debut in a 2001 stage production of The Royal Family.
2. Blunt went on to appear in the television movie Boudica and portrayed the ill-fated queen consort Catherine Howard in the miniseries Henry VIII, following which she made her feature movie debut in the 2004 drama My Summer of Love.
3. Blunt’s breakthrough came in 2006 when she starred in the television movie Gideon’s Daughter and the highly successful American comedy movie The Devil Wears Prada.
4. She was born in Wandsworth, London. She’s the second of four children born to Joanna, a former actress and teacher, and barrister Oliver Simon Peter Blunt.
5. She bought a $2.2 million home in Vancouver where she lived with her boyfriend at the time, pop singer Michael Buble.
6. She was named the Best Female Scene-Stealer for her performance in The Devil Wears Prada by Entertainment Weekly.
7. Blunt was told to lose weight for her role as Emily in The Devil Wears Prada. She revealed this in a 2006 interview with Craig Ferguson. Co-star Anne Hathaway tells a similar story, and reports that she and Emily were always hungry on-set due to being kept on strict diets to maintain the rail-thin “super-model” look.
8. For her performance in The Devil Wars Prada, Blunt convinced David Frankel that her character should be British rather than American. She also improvised many of her lines and told interviewers that she based the character on people she’s met, but would never want to associate with.
9. Acting and adopting new accents helped her overcome a debilitating speech impediment at the age of 12.
10. She admitted that she and her The Devil Wears Prada co-star Stanley Tucci competed to see who could be more over-the-top in their scenes. Tucci admits his young co-star won, “hands down.”
11. Upon filming their first scene together for The Devil Wears Prada, Meryl Streep laughed that Blunt should be given the film carbon copy, rather than steal the movie.
12. She is the great-niece of actor and retired Major-General Tony Richardson.
13. Her ex-boyfriend Michael Buble wrote the hit single “Everything” for her. She’s also on his album “Call Me Irresponsible,” where she sings briefly at the end of the song, “Me and Mrs. Jones.”
14. Blunt is best friends with actress Anne Hathaway. She refers to Anne as “her rock.”
15. At 16, Blunt was offered a record deal after a producer spotted her in the musical “Bliss” at the Edinburgh Festival.
16. She is the niece of Crispin Blunt, who is a Member of Parliament for the British Conservative Party, and also holds the post of Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Ministry of Justice.
17. She used to be neighbors with Jimmy Kimmel.
18. Blunt has been ranked as having one of the most “Beautiful Famous Faces” by “The Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Famous Faces From Around the World.” She was ranked number 9 in 2010 and number 34 in 2009.
19. She and her husband, John Krasinski, have a red fox Labrador named Finn.
20. She gave birth to her first child at the age of 30, a daughter named Hazel Krasinski on February 16, 2014. Her child’s father is her husband, John Krasinski.
21. She was 6 months pregnant with her daughter Hazel when she completed filming Into the Woods.
22. Blunt returned to work 4 months after giving birth to her daughter Hazel to begin filming Sicario.
23. Blunt found out about her Golden Globe nomination for Into the Woods while she was having a massage in Dubai. She served as a jury member of the Dubai Film Festival at the time.
24. When she was a guest on Lip Sync Battle, LL Cool J called her and Anne Hathaway two of the most powerful stars of the big scree. He called it a, “Devil Wears Prada reunion battle,” he said Blunt, “had some swagger, was incomparable and breathtaking.”
25. Edge of Tomorrow was Blunt’s first action movie. Tom Cruise thought that she was screwed because she was thrown in at the deep end. Blunt had never done a movie of this magnitude before, but she felt it lived up to all of the buzz.
26. It was Tom Cruise’s idea to do three film premiered for Edge of Tomorrow all in one day. Blunt said it was harder on her because she needed a new dress, makeup and hairdo for each one, while her co-star just needed a new suit, but still said that they were a lot more fun.
27. She was 4 months pregnant with her daughter Violet when she completed filming The Girl on the Train.
28. Blunt’s secret party trick is her ability to replicate a pigeon’s trill. She demonstrated the unusual talent in an interview with ELLE Canada in 2011.
29. She was offered the role of Sister James in Doubt. She suggested Amy Adams for the role as she felt the role suited Amy more. Amy went on to not only getting the role, but was also nominated for an Oscar at the 81st Academy Awards.
30. She has a fear of wearing gloves. She said, “I don’t know why but I find them repulsive. I’d scream if my mother tried to make me wear them as a child – it must be a phobia.”