Giratina is a dual type Ghost and Dragon Legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. While it is not known to evolve to or from any other Pokemon, Giratina has a second form activated by giving Giratina a Griseous Orb to hold, or while it is in its home, the Distortion World. Its original form, Altered Form, will then become Origin Form.
Giratina’s Origin Form was officially revealed in early February, 2008. In Origin Form, Giratina is the game mascot of Pokemon Platinum. Along with Dialga and Palkia, it is a member of the creation trio of Sinnoh, representing antimatter. Take a look below for 30 fun and awesome facts about Giratina.
1. Giratina is a large gray draconic Pokemon with gold half rings circling the back of its neck.
2. Its head has a gold crown-like object surrounding it with two large horns pointing sideways.
3. A thick black stripe runs vertically along its front with red horizontal stripes.
4. In its Altered Forme, it has two large black ghostly wings with red tips that can resemble claws.
5. These wings can change shape as if it’s a liquid or gas. Its six legs are thick and clawed.
6. In its Origin Forme, it takes on a serpentine look, with six black ghostly streamers on its back with red spikes at the tips.
7. Its legs are reduced to spikes, and four additional golden spikes appear near the edge of its tail.
8. While in Origin Forme, the three gold half-rings can grip objects.
9. The horns on its head are now facing the back, and the black vertical stripe is broken into pieces and runs all the way down its body.
10. Giratina can only be in its Origin Forme when in its home, the Distortion World, or when holding a Griseous Orb.
11. Giratina is able to travel through and control dimensions besides those of time and space.
12. When in its Origin Forme, it is able to pass through dimensions at will, however, it will turn back to its Altered Forme due to the gravity change from the Distortion World.
13. Giratina is a highly aggressive and territorial Pokémon that is protective of its home.
14. Legends claim that Giratina appears in cemeteries and that it supposedly lives in a world on the reverse side.
15. It was said to be banished for “violence”, though in the anime it is shown to possess a gentle side as well.
16. Giratina is the only known Pokémon that can learn Shadow Force.
17. Origin Forme Giratina is the tallest Generation IV Pokémon.
18. Giratina is tied with Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma for the highest base stat total of all Ghost-type Pokémon.
19. In Pokémon Platinum, Giratina is the only Pokémon to come out from above the screen during the start of the battle.
20. In Pokémon Platinum, when battled in the Distortion World it does not have a shadow until it uses Shadow Force or breaks out of a Poké Ball.
21. Giratina is the only Pokémon that appears last in a regional Pokédex listing that is not an event-exclusive Pokémon.
22. Giratina is the only Legendary Pokémon that can be obtained in all five of the Generation IV core series handheld games.
23. In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, the second frame of Giratina’s Altered Forme sprite was changed, but the static sprite remained the same.
24. In Pokémon Platinum, when encountered in the Distortion World the unique message “The Distortion World’s Giratina appeared” is displayed. However, it is still a wild Pokémon.
25. In Black 2 and White 2, in the The Battle Between Legendary Pokémon, Fantina has an Origin Forme Giratina without a Griseous Orb.
26. Giratina may be based on the biblical figure of the fallen angel, celestial beings that rebelled against God and were excommunicated to Hell. This is analogous to Giratina, due to being a Pokémon created by Arceus (Pokémon World’s God) and excommunicated to another dimension due to its belligerent nature. Nonetheless, it might have drawn inspiration by Samael, who is the ruler of the 5th Heaven and has grim and destructive duties whilst being member of a heavenly host; both traits allude to Giratina being the ruler of another dimension (Reverse World) and its threatening visage. Furthermore, both of Giratina’s Forms resemble the Beasts of Revelation, with its Altered Form standing for the “Earth Beast”, and its Origin Form standing for the “Sea Beast”.
27. Giratina may also be based on Seta, a giant centipede, from the Japanese fairy-tale, “My Lord Bag of Rice”, which was said to prey on dragon hatchlings and be as large as a mountain.
28. In its Altered Forme, Giratina’s wings may be based on a bat’s, and its body has an insect-like, six-legged feature, but its posture is similar to a sauropod.
29. Its Origin Forme has a body similar to a serpent, while the six protrusions on its body may be based on a scorpion’s stinger or spider legs. This Forme also shares physical traits with the Amphiptere, a European dragon-like creature with wings but no legs.
30. In interviews Junichi Masuda and Takeshi Kawachimaru did with G4, they said that Giratina and the Distortion World were created to be personifications of antimatter. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, Cynthia also states this.