Palkia is a dual type Water and Dragon Legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Palkia is the game mascot of Pokemon Pearl, appearing on the boxart. Along with Dialga and Giratina, it is a member of the creation trio of Sinnoh, representing space. Take a look below for 28 fascinating and interesting facts about Palkia.
1. Palkia is a light purple theropod like Pokemon with stripes and markings of a darker shade and gray underarms and waist.
2. It has round purple-striped plates on its shoulder area, where two pink pearls lie encrusted with a gray rim encircling them and fins in their back.
3. Palkia’s arms have extended formations resembling gauntlets and a purple band around each wrist.
4. Palkia has a long neck, a pointed white crest on the top of its head that extends to its wings, two strong horn-like tusks on the sides of its jaw, and a powerful tail.
5. It has faint cracks along its legs and tail.
6. As seen in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, Palkia travels by creating a large yellow sphere from its two pearls, then using it to fly very fast.
7. Palkia has the ability to warp space, though it was said to create alternate realities as well.
8. Palkia lives in a different dimension, making its behavior nearly impossible to study. However, Palkia has been seen in violent conflicts with its counterpart Dialga.
9. It is known to be very protective of its home as well.
10. Palkia is the only known Pokémon that can learn Spacial Rend.
11. In games prior to Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Palkia has a catch rate of 30.
12. The gems on Palkia’s shoulders resemble Pale Spheres.
13. Although Palkia is genderless in the main games, it is referred to as a male in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness.
14. Palkia is in the highest IQ group. It takes this position in IQ group J and is the only Pokémon in IQ group J.
15. In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, Palkia, along with Primal Dialga, the Legendary titans, the Magnemite family, and Regigigas, all speak in all capital letters, unlike the other Pokémon in the game.
16. Palkia, along with Dialga, may be based on the Shinto legend of Izanami and Izanagi, who are said to have created one island with a spear, erected a pillar on it, and from there created the islands of Japan.
17. Appearance-wise, Palkia is likely based after a European dragon combined with a pearl. Its appearance may also be derived from the Plateosaurus or other bipedal dinosaurs such as the Oviraptor.
18. Its Water type is possibly inspired by its association with pearls, or the large space that oceans are known to span.
19. Palkia is derived from the Japanese spelling of pearl, pāru, and possibly alkali, referring to its association with water.
20. Palkia made its physical debut in The Rise of Darkrai, where it fought with Dialga and Darkrai in a battle that nearly destroyed Alamos Town. It was then shown in a flashback in Giratina and the Sky Warrior. Palkia’s final movie appearance was in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, where it was shown for the first time with both the other members of its trio. It joined forces with Dialga and Giratina to fight against Arceus.
21. Palkia appeared in The Battle Finale of Legend!, where it and Dialga were summoned by Cyrus on the Spear Pillar. They were put under his control through the use of the Red Chain and were tasked by him to open a portal to another dimension, wanting a world of his own. After the Red Chain’s destruction and Cyrus’s exit, Palkia and Dialga rampaged, creating a danger for Sinnoh. However, the two were calmed down and sent away with the help of the lake guardians.
22. Palkia appeared in Hoopa and the Clash of Ages as one of six Legendary Pokémon summoned and hypnotized by the shadow Hoopa Unbound as its reinforcements. It and its teammates engaged in a battle against the Latios, Latias, and Shiny Rayquaza summoned to protect the real Hoopa in Dahara City. Eventually, after the shadow Hoopa was sealed in a Prison Bottle, the hypnosis on Palkia and the other Legendary Pokémon was lifted, and Palkia departed for its home.
23. Palkia debuted as a shadowy figure in a fantasy in All Dressed Up With Somewhere To Go!.
24. Palkia appeared in a fantasy in A Secret Sphere of Influence!.
25. Palkia appeared in a fantasy in Double Team Turnover!.
26. Palkia briefly appeared in Meowth’s fantasy in For The Love of Meowth!.
27. Palkia appeared in The New World along with Dialga. Both of them were captured at Spear Pillar by Cyrus, who intended to use them to destroy the world and create a new one. Along with Dialga, it was freed by Giratina before they could help Cyrus succeed in his goal.
28. Palkia debuted in The Rise of Darkrai manga adaptation, where it was fighting Dialga. In the Arceus and the Jewel of Life manga adaptation, Palkia, along with the members of its trio, were summoned by Sheena to help Ash and his friends. Palkia and the other members of its trio soon engaged Arceus in a battle.