Andrew Russell Garfield is a British-American actor. He is the recipient of several accolades, including a Tony Award, and has been nominated for an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards, and two British Academy Film Awards. Take a look below for 30 more awesome and interesting facts about Andrew Garfield.
1. Born in Los Angeles and raised in Epsom, England, Garfield began his career on the U.K. stage and in television productions.
2. He made his feature-film debut in the 2007 ensemble drama “Lions for Lambs.”
3. In 2007, his performance in the television film “Boy A” earned him a British Academy Television Award for Best Actor.
4. He came to international attention in 2010 with supporting roles in the drama “The Social Network, for which he received Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations for his portrayal of Eduardo Saverin, and the science fiction romance “Never Let Me Go.”
5. Garfield subsequently gained wider recognition for playing Spider-Man in the 2012 superhero film “The Amazing Spider-Man” and its 2014 sequel.
6. In 2016, Garfield starred in two critically acclaimed historical dramas, “Hacksaw Ridge,” and “Silence.”
7. His portrayal of Desmond T. Doss in the former earned him nominations for the Academy Award, Golden Globe and BAFTA Award for Best Actor.
8. On stage, Garfield has played Biff in a 2012 Broadway revival of Arthur Miller’s play “Death of a Salesman,” which earned him a Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actor in a Play.
9. In 2017, he starred as Prior Walter in a production of “Angels in America” at the Royal National Theater in London, a role for which he was nominated for an Olivier Award for Best Actor.
10. He reprised the role on Broadway in 2018, for which he received the Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play.
11. His mother, Lynn, was from Essex, England, and his father, Richard Garfield, is from California.
12. Garfield’s paternal grandparents were also from the United Kingdom.
13. Garfield’s parents moved the family from Los Angeles to the U.K. when he was three years old and was brought up in Epsom, Surrey.
14. Garfield’s father is Jewish.
15. He had a secular upbringing, and has referred to himself as an “agnostic pantheist,” though he identifies as Jewish.
16. His paternal grandparents were from Jewish immigrant families who moved to London from Poland, Russia and Romania, and the family surname was originally “Garfinkel.”
17. Garfield’s parents ran a small interior design business.
18. His mother is also a teaching assistant at a nursery school, and his father became head coach of the Guildford City Swimming Club.
19. He had an older brother who is a doctor.
20. Garfield was a gymnast and a swimmer during his early years, and was also an avid philatelist.
21. He had originally intended to study business but became interested in acting at the age of 16 when a friend convinced him to take Theater Studies at A-level as they were one pupil short of being able to run the class.
22. Garfield attended Priory Preparatory School in Banstead and later City of London Freemen’s School in Ashtead, before training at the Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London.
23. In October 2018, it was reported that Garfield had been cast in Gia Coppola’s “Mainstream”, alongside Maya Hawke and Jason Schwartzman.
24. In 2019, Garfield will star in “Instrumental,” for director James Marsh.
25. He will portray acclaimed concert pianist James Rhodes in the film.
26. Garfield had duel citizenship in the United States and the United Kingdom. In 2009, he told the Sunday Herald that he, “feels equally at home,” in both the United States and the United Kingdom and, “enjoy having a varied cultural existence.”
27. Garfield customarily gives interviews about his work, but doesn’t publicly discuss details of his private life.
28. In 2011, Garfield began dating his “The Amazing Spider-Man” co-star Emma Stone sometime during production of the film.
29. In 2015, they were rumored to have broken up although no formal statement was released.
30. When asked about his sexuality, Garfield identified himself as heterosexual but has said that he has, “an openness to any impulses that may arise within me at any time.”