Malcolm James McCormick, known professionally as Mac Miller, was an American rapper, songwriter, and record producer. Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Miller began his career in the city’s hip hop scene in 2007, at the age of 15. Take a look below for 27 more fun and interesting facts about Mac Miller.
1. In 2010, he signed a record deal with Pittsburgh-based independent label Rostrum Records, with whom he had his breakthrough with the mixtapes K.I.D.S. and Best Day Ever.
2. Miller’s debut studio album, Blue Slide Park, reached number one on the US Billboard 200, the first independently distributed album to top the chart since 1995.
3. In 2013, Miller founded his own record label imprint, REMember Music.
4. After his second studio album, Watching Movies with the Sound Off, he left Rostrum and signed with the major label Warner Bros. Records, in October 2014.
5. With them, he released three studio albums, GO:OD AM, The Divine Feminine and Swimming.
6. For Swimming, he was posthumously nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album.
7. He also served as a record producer for various artists, including himself, under the pseudonym Larry Fisherman.
8. Miller struggled with substance abuse, which was often referenced in his lyrics.
9. His mother was a photographer while his father was an architect.
10. His parents belong to different religious faiths. While his mother was Jewish, his father was Christian.
11. Miller was raised as a Jew and had a Bar Mitzvah.
12. Miller spent most of his childhood in the Point Breeze area of Pittsburgh.
13. He attended the Winchester Thurston School and Taylor Allderdice High School later.
14. While in school, Miller used to show interest in sports and was always eager to attend high school parties.
15. Miller was interested in music and learned playing different kinds of musical instruments like the piano, drums, bass and guitar.
16. He was a self-taught musician and didn’t attend any music classes.
17. While he wanted to be a singer in his teens, he started rapping at the age of 14.
18. When he was 15 years old, Miller decided to focus on hip-hop.
19. In 2010, Miller won two awards at the Pittsburgh hip hop awards.
20. His first album “Blue Slide Park” was the first independently distributed debut to stand in the number one spot since The Dogg Pound’s 1995 album “Dogg Food.”
21. While most of his mixtapes and albums were commercial successes, his first album remains his major work.
22. Miller revealed that during his Macadelic Tour in 2012, he was taking a combination of promethazine and codeine called “purple drank” or “lean” to manage stress.
23. He quit taking promethazine in November 2012, before starting the shoot for his reality show, Mac Miller and the Most Dope Family.
24. Miller was in a four year relationship with an unknown woman until 2013. Many songs in his mixtape Macadelic were based on his relationship with the girl.
25. In August 2016, TMZ reported that Miller was in a relationship with American singer Ariana Grande. The report was later confirmed by Grande in an Instagram post.
26. He died of an apparent drug overdose on September 7, 2018, at his Studio City home in Los Angeles.
27. In February, 2011, Miller and his friends were arrested for possession of marijuana during a tour to Upstate New York, for which they had to spend the night in jail.