Grimer is a Poison type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Muk starting at level 38. In Alola, Grimer has a Poison and Dark type regional form. It evolves into Alolan Muk starting at level 38. Take a look below for 27 fun and interesting facts about Grimer.
1. Grimer is a slimy, amorphous Pokemon whose body was animated because of lunar radiation.
2. It has two large eyes with beady pupils and a gaping mouth with a gray tongue.
3. While it lacks any visible legs, it does have two arms with three digits on each hand.
4. Its purple sludge body contains a variety of pungent bacteria, which are so potent that it renders soil barren and incapable of supporting plant life.
5. It is constantly oozing a bacteria-rich fluid from all parts of its body.
6. Pieces of it often break off during travel, and go on to become new Grimer.
7. When combined with another Grimer, it produces new poisonous compounds.
8. Due to its lack of a solid form, Grimer is capable of squeezing into any space or crevices with relative ease. It uses this to penetrate sewage pipes and feed off of the filthy waste water inside.
9. Its population fluctuates based on the availability of waste.
10. It can be found in polluted lakes and streams, as well as within cities and factories where trash and industrial waste can be found.
11. Grimer was brought to Alola to deal with the excess waste generated by the region’s increased population.
12. Alolan Grimer eats solid garbage instead of sludge; this new diet has caused its body composition and form to change.
13. Alolan Grimer’s body is green with a line of yellow sludge along its lower lip that extends around behind its head, a bright blue tongue, and a small black space behind its eyes. It also has two blunt “teeth” in its upper jaw, which are actually crystallized toxins formed by its diet.
14. It is not known how to break down these toxic crystals, but direct contact with them is known to be dangerous.
15. Lethal poisons leak out of Grimer’s body when these crystals fall out. Because it produces and stores its toxins within its body, Alolan Grimer does not produce a foul stench like the standard version.
16. Alolan Grimer is perpetually hungry and must constantly eat trash. If no trash is readily available, it will eat other manufactured products instead.
17. In addition to garbage, Alolan Grimer preys on Trubbish and Garbodor; its introduction to Alola caused their populations to decrease in the region.
18. In Sparks Fly for Magnemite, Grimer’s anime debut, Grimer had a very strong odor that made most people around the Grimer cover their noses from the smell. However, in recent episodes, Grimer’s smell has seemingly ceased to exist. This is most obvious in Camping It Up! where Dawn is given a Grimer to train, and it immediately hugs her, but no one complains about any smell.
19. Grimer shares similar traits to Koffing and Trubbish. All three Pokémon are pure Poison-types with a single evolution and roughly the same base stat totals.
20. Alolan Grimer and its Alolan evolution were designed by Hitoshi Ariga.
21. Grimer appears to be a pile of living sludge.
22. It may also be based on the imagined fear that heavy pollution, caused by the leakage and/or improper disposal of toxic/radioactive waste, may result in the creation of new and undesirable life.
23. Alolan Grimer may be based on an oil slick, particularly the rainbow colors that are produced when a thin layer of oil floats on top of water; this is due to a phenomenon called thin-film interference.
24. In the real world, oil spills are a major threat to ecosystems in the world’s oceans and particularly in Hawaii, which Alola is based on.
25. Grimer is derived from grime (dirt or filth).
26. Grimer debuted in a flashback in Pokémon Scent-sation!. Celadon City Gym Leader Erika told a story about when she was a youngster, where she got lost one day and ran into a Grimer. However, a Gloom chased the Grimer off and saved her.
27. Multiple Grimer physically debuted in Sparks Fly for Magnemite. Ash and his friends encountered the Grimer and a Muk when they were gumming up the turbines in the power plant in Gringey City, causing a citywide power loss. This was eventually resolved when Ash caught Muk.