Black Widow, or Natalia Alianovna Romanova, is a fictional superhero that appears in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. She was created by editor and plotter Stan Lee, scripter Don Rico, and artist Don Heck. Take a look below for 27 more fascinating and bizarre facts about Black Widow.
1. Black Widow first debuted in Tales of Suspense #52.
2. She was introduced as a Russian spy, an antagonist of Iron Man. However, she later defected to the United States, becoming an agent of the fictional spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D. and a member of the superhero team the Avengers.
3. Scarlett Johansson portrays Black Widow in the movies Iron Man 2, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Captain America: Civil War.
4. It was rumored that Natasha Romanova was somehow related to the last ruling czars of Russia, but this was never proven.
5. On Earth-23223, Black Widow was once worthy to pick up Thor’s hammer, Mjolnir. She used all the power she had acquired against the Midgard Serpent Jormungand, along with an army of Frost Giants.
6. Each Black Widow is deployed with false memories to help ensure their loyalty. Romanova eventually discovers this, as well as the fact that she had never, as she had believed, been a ballerina.
7. Black Widow knew the Winter Soldier when they were being taught and brain washed.
8. Black Widow and Daredevil were the first unmarried couple to live together in the Marvel Comics.
9. Marvel Comics has acknowledged that Black Widow was the best student to have ever been a part of the Red Room Program in its entire history.
10. Black Widow dated Tony Stark for a short time after she arrived in the United States, but the relationship ended abruptly when Tony learned that the she was a Russian spy.
11. Black Widow has had romantic relationships with Clint Barton, Matt Murdock, James Barnes and Alexi Shostakov.
12. She can hack into all computer systems without tripping any firewalls or security with ease. She’s also capable of lifting up to 500 pounds, but stated that the Punisher is stronger than her.
13. Black Widow wears armored gloves, even as a civilian.
14. Black Widow was a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Level Ten, or a Level 10 Operative.
15. Romanova occasionally cared for a cat that hung around her apartment until she eventually named it Liho and unofficially adopted it.
16. Despite the Black Widow having been introduced in 1964, it wasn’t until 35 years later in 1999 that the first version of her Red Room backstory was established in Black Widow #1.
17. Natasha has received a Russian serum that extends her life and youth, resulting in her maintaining the appearance of a woman in her 30’s despite being born in 1928.
18. Her speed is enhanced to the peak of human capability. She’s capable of running at speeds of up to 30 miles per hour. At peak capacity, she’s capable of extending speeds up to 35 miles per hour.
19. Her body is much more resistant than a normal human. Black Widow is durable enough to survive a fall from several stories. She also withstood blows from Imus Champion, who possesses superhuman strength.
20. Black Widow’s reflexes are at the peak of human sustainability. She was able to dodge several attacks from Bullseye, as well as easily dodge gunfire at mid-range.
21. Natasha’s healing is five times faster than the average human rate, as theoretically stated by Dr. Kudrin. She’s able to heal broken bones, fractures, torn muscles, several gunshots, puncture wounds, and other serious injuries in just three days time.
22. She is extraordinarily capable at withstanding torture. She is often required to go undercover for S.H.I.E.L.D. and has been extensively trained to endure long-term torturous interrogation methods.
23. Natasha is an expert in many fields of martial arts. These include sambo, boxing, karate, judo, aikido, ninjutsu, savate, muay thai and multiple styles of kung fu. She was able to easily defeat a hundred armed men.
24. Black Widow uses her Widow’s Line, which is a grappling hook with a retractable line, to swing along rooftops for increased mobility.
25. Black Widow’s Gauntlets are wrist cartridges containing various tools of the spy trade, such as tear-gas pellets, a radio transmitter and a 100 foot spring-loaded cable.
26. She uses various automatic weapons, combat knives and explosives as needed. She also uses a device called the Widow’s Bite, that’s capable of stunning a superhuman opponent and emitting highly potent electric shocks with a maximum of about 30,000 volts.
27. Black Widow’s costume has microscopic suction cups that allow her to scale walls and cling to ceilings. The costume also has synthetic stretch fabric that’s been augmented to be highly resistant to small arms fire and high temperatures.