Colton Lee Haynes is an American actor, model and singer. He is known for his starring role as Jackson Whittemore in the MTV supernatural drama series Teen Wolf and as Roy Harper in the CW superhero television series Arrow. Take a look below for 26 more fun and interesting facts about Colton Haynes.
1. Haynes was born in Andale, Kansas, the son of Dana Denise Mitchell and William Clayton Haynes.
2. He has described his parents as “free-spirited hippies.”
3. Haynes has five siblings, including brothers Clinton and Joshua, and a sister, Willow.
4. He grew up on a farm in Andale and has also lived in Arkansas, New Mexico, Texas and Florida.
5. He attended Navarre High School in Florida, Andale High School in Kansas and graduated from Samuel Clemens High School in Schertz, Texas.
6. Haynes began his career as a model at the age of fifteen in New York City, New York.
7. He subsequently appeared in a Bruce Weber photo shoot for Abercrombie & Fitch. Afterward, Haynes began modeling in campaigns for Kira Plastinina, J. C. Penney, and Ralph Lauren.
8. In 2008, Haynes continued modeling in campaigns such as Verizon and also appeared in numerous magazine editorials such as Teen Vogue and Arena.
9. He made an uncredited appearance in the 2007 blockbuster Transformers.
10. In 2008, he appeared on the television series Privileged and Pushing Daisies.
11. He played Scott Holland in the Hallmark Channel film Always and Forever. Filming began in December 2008, and the film was released to television on October 24, 2009.
12. It was announced in 2009 that Haynes had won the role of Shane in the Showtime series Look, based on the 2007 film of the same name.
13. Haynes landed the role of Jackson Whittemore in the 2011 MTV series Teen Wolf, based on the 1985 film of the same name.
14. Beginning in 2012, he was a recurring member on The CW’s Arrow, playing Roy Harper, a street thug who idolizes the Arrow and later becomes his protegé, Arsenal.
15. In September 2012, he appeared in Leona Lewis’s music video “Trouble”, playing the part of her boyfriend.
16. Haynes has struggled with anxiety all his life. In January 2016, after years of public speculation concerning his “secret gay past”, an off-the-cuff response he made on Tumblr regarding a comment on photos that appeared in gay lifestyle magazine XY a decade before was taken by many media outlets as confirmation of his coming out.
17. Not yet ready to speak openly about his sexual orientation, the renewed attention led Haynes to seek treatment for his anxiety for the next three months. He later publicly came out as gay in an interview in Entertainment Weekly in May 2016.
18. Haynes and celebrity florist Jeff Leatham became engaged on March 11, 2017.
19. They were married on October 27, 2017.
20. In May 2018, Haynes filed for divorce from Leatham, but the pair reconciled before their first wedding anniversary.
21. In December 2018, Leatham filed a preliminary declaration of disclosure, a filing generally required in the early stages of divorce proceedings.
22. In November 2017, Haynes was nominated to Out magazine’s “OUT100” for 2017 in recognition of his coming out, his “self-actualization” and his professional work.
23. Haynes’ mother, Dana, died as a result of cirrhosis in March 2018.
24. In late March 2019, Haynes spoke publicly about his experience with alcohol and drug addiction, stating, “In 10 years, there were maybe 25 days I didn’t drink. I remember when I started, it was a couple glasses of wine, and it regressed into really dark times.” He recounted going through a treatment program that lasted four months to address the substance use.
25. In 2014, Haynes returned to his modeling roots by participating in Abercrombie & Fitch’s “Making of a Star” campaign.
26. Haynes’ first credited feature film role was in the 2015 film San Andreas. He followed San Andreas with a role in the comedy Rough Night, released in mid-2017.