The Porsche 911 is an iconic and popular sports car famed for its looks as well as performance. Many people will state this sports car as one of their all-time favourites. There is a lot that makes the Porsche 911 such a special car. Take a look below for 22 crazy and interesting facts about the Porsche 911.
1. The original name for the car was actually ‘901’, but in 1963 Porsche had to rename due to a claim from Peugeot stating it had a trademark on ‘digit-zero-digit’. This is how the number changed to 911.
2. In a 1999 edition of the Global Automotive Elections Foundation’s Car of the Century, the Porsche 911 placed in the top 5.
3. Porsche currently produces 16 different types of the Porsche 911.
4. It is only manufactured in the factory located in Stuttgart, Germany.
5. The factory makes about 110 models a day.
6. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS holds the 6th fastest time on the demanding Nurburgring track.
7. The 911 GT2 RS MR is the fastest road-legal sports car.
8. Believe it or not, back in the 70s, a plan was almost set in motion to replace the 911 with a 928, however, because of significant employee and market outrage, this did not happen. If it had, the 911 would not have been able to have made the impact it has.
9. In 1972 the Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 was launched. It is one of the most recognizable models of the famous sports car, thanks to its iconic ‘duck’duck-bill’ rear end and spoiler.
10. By 2011, roughly 90% of the Porsche 911 was new or completely redesigned.
11. There was also the 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive series which featured a more powerful performance, elegant materials, lots of detail and overall a very unique design.
12. Only five hundred Porsche 911 Turbo S Exclusive’s were made.
13. Ferdinand Porsche is the son of Porsche founder (also) Ferdinand Porsche, and he was the man in charge of the style of the first Porsche 911 editions.
14. Issued for a time was a twin version of the 911 named the Porsche 912.
15. Due to component shortages, Mr. Porsche started using parts from the Beetle to work on his next car — the Porsche 356. More than 75,000 were made over 15 years.
16. Can you guess the most popular colour choice? Red and white are the most popular colours with fans.
17. If you don’t want one of the set colours the company will custom paint a car in any colour, for a fee.
18. The plant where the cars are manufactured makes more than 20 different versions of its famed six-cylinder engines ranging from 255 to 535 horsepower.
19. So far, there are eight generations of the Porsche: The early years (1963 – 1973), the 930 (1973 – 1989), the 964 (1989 – 1994), the 993 (1994 – 1998), the 996 (1998 – 2004), the 997 (2004 – 2011), the 991 (2011 to 2018), the 992 (2018 to present day).
20. Ferdinand Porsche designed the first hybrid gasoline-electric car ever made at age 25 back in the 1900s.
21. In 1934, he was also asked to create a car by Adolf Hitler, as a response he created the Volkswagen Beetle.
22. Out of all of the releases from the company, the Porsche 911 is the biggest seller.