Swinub is a dual type Ice and Ground Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves into Piloswine starting at level 33, which evolves into Mamoswine when leveled up while knowing Ancient Power. Take a look below for 26 awesome and fun facts about Swinub.
1. Living in frigid temperatures, Swinub is covered in dense, brown, striped hair to keep it warm.
2. The hair is so shaggy that it often covers its tuft-like small legs, making it appear like a legless lump.
3. Swinub’s eyes appear as if they are perpetually closed.
4. Swinub uses its pink, pig-like nose to dig through mud and snow, looking for anything edible.
5. Occasionally, it will come across hot springs while scouring the ground.
6. Its favorite food is a type of mushroom that grows beneath dead grass, though it also eats Berries.
7. When a Swinub finds an attractive smell, it will run desperately to find out the source of the aroma.
8. It inhabits cold places, such as icy caves, mountainous regions, and frozen tundra.
9. Swinub has the lowest base stat total of all Ice-type Pokémon. This includes the lowest base Special Defense among Ice-type Pokémon.
10. The only time that Swinub’s eyes have been seen open was during the battle between Pryce and Erika in the Round Bringing up Bellossom from Pokémon Adventures when Pryce ordered his to dodge Erika’s Skiploom’s attack.
11. Swinub is one of the few Pokémon with the same sprite in both Gold and Silver.
12. Swinub is the only Pokémon that can be resistant to damage from all types of weather effects, including Shadow Sky, without the aid of an Ability.
13. In HeartGold and SoulSilver coding, it is revealed that Swinub has Mud Shot listed as a “new HGSS” Egg move, but it could already learn this move by breeding since Generation III.
14. Swinub and its evolutions are also the only Pokémon weak to the types of all three starter Pokémon.
15. Swinub’s size and appearance seem to be based on a mix of a Peruvian guinea pig and a wild boar piglet. It may also be based on wordplay of the groundhog. Both are similar in characteristics and behavior, while “Ground hog” describes Swinub’s type and species quite well. Swinub also resembles the Marsupial mole.
16. Swinub is a combination of swine and nub (referring to its lump-like nose) or cub, a young animal.
17. Dawn caught a Swinub in Hungry for the Good Life!. It evolved into Piloswine in Sleepless in Pre-Battle!, and then into Mamoswine in A Breed Stampede!.
18. Three Swinub debuted in Spring Fever. Nicknamed “Sue”, “Ein”, and “Ub”, they were used by Peggy and her father to sniff out places to dig for hot springs.
19. In Pinch Healing, a Swinub was being babysat by a Poké-Sitter named Matt. At the Pokémon Center, May was playing with it.
20. Three Swinub appeared in Hot Springing a Leak!, under the ownership of Leona, one of Dawn’s childhood friends. They would help her out at her and her parents’ hot spring.
21. A Swinub appeared as one of the Pokémon owned by Nurse Joy in the banned episode EP250.
22. Two Swinub appeared in Entei at Your Own Risk as some of the Pokémon resting in some hot springs.
23. A Swinub appeared in Gonna Rule The School!, under the ownership of the Pokémon Trainers’ School. It was temporarily loaned to one of the school’s underage students for use.
24. A Coordinator’s Swinub appeared in Hi Ho Silver Wind!.
25. A Swinub appeared in Queen of the Serpentine! as one of Lucy’s pets.
26. A Coordinator’s Swinub appeared in Harley Rides Again.