Piloswine is a dual type Ice and Ground Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Swinub starting at level 33 and, starting in Generation IV, evolves into Mamoswine when leveled up while knowing Ancient Power. Take a look below for 24 amazing and fascinating facts about Piloswine.
1. Piloswine is a big, brown, furry Pokemon with an impressive hump on its back.
2. It also has two tusks made of ice, which seem small but can be lethal.
3. These tusks thicken when it snows, and they are smaller on a female Piloswine than on a male.
4. It has floppy ears that are sensitive to sound.
5. Piloswine has two beady eyes in its head; however, these are usually covered up by tufts of fur.
6. As it is usually unable to see, it checks surroundings with its sensitive pig-like nose instead.
7. Its hair is so long that it usually covers its small, hoofed legs.
8. Despite the small size of its legs, its hooves ensure even footing on icy ground.
9. Piloswine tend to inhabit cold places, such as icy caves, mountainous regions and frozen tundra.
10. It often digs for food buried beneath snow and ice.
11. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Piloswine and its evolutionary family.
12. Piloswine and its evolutionary family are also the only Pokémon weak to the types of all three starter Pokémon.
13. According to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Piloswine was designed by Shigeki Morimoto.
14. Piloswine’s size and appearance seem to be based on a combination of a wild boar and a domestic yak, whose mountainous habitat echoes that of the Ice Path in northern Johto. It also shares traits with mammoths and mastodons.
15. Piloswine is a combination of pilose (to be covered in distinct hairs) and swine. It might invoke “pile o’ swine”, due to its tall and shaggy form. It may also come from the word “Pil” (Elephant in Hebrew).
16. Pryce’s Piloswine first appeared in As Cold as Pryce. Pryce thought that it abandoned him when he was a young Trainer after the two of them got hit by a Magmar’s Fire Blast, and thus became cold and bitter. When Pryce found his Piloswine in a cave and frozen solid with a Burn-Healing Herb, Pryce let go of his coldness. Pryce later used Piloswine in his Gym battle against Ash in the following episode.
17. Dawn’s Swinub evolved into a Piloswine in Sleepless in Pre-Battle. It later evolved into Mamoswine in A Breed Stampede!.
18. Multiple Piloswine appeared in the banned episode EP250, under the ownership of the Nurse Joy living inside the Ice Cave. They wore harnesses and were used for sledding through the Ice Cave.
19. Piloswine debuted in Celebi: The Voice of the Forest, where it was one of the Pokémon captured in the Poacher’s cage at the start of the film. Its appearance in the film was very brief, lasting barely a second.
20. A Piloswine appeared in Entei at Your Own Risk as one of the Pokémon resting in some hot springs.
21. A Trainer’s Piloswine appeared in A Claim to Flame!, where it battled in a qualifying match for the Silver Conference.
22. In Pichu Bros. in Party Panic, during the chase between the Pichu Brothers and a Houndour, the Pichu Brothers disguised themselves as a Piloswine. However, the Houndour wasn’t easily fooled and eventually dismantled the disguise, revealing the Pichu Brothers.
23. A Piloswine appeared in a fantasy in Pinch Healing!.
24. A Piloswine appeared in the opening sequence of Zoroark: Master of Illusions.