Yanmega is a dual type Bug and Flying Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves from Yanma when leveled up while knowing Ancient Power. Take a look below for 25 fascinating and interesting facts about Yanmega.
1. Yanmega is a large, dark green dragonfly Pokemon.
2. Its large eyes are red with black lines that make a sideways “T” shape in each one.
3. It has two large, white fangs or mandibles next to its small mouth.
4. Its immense jaw power allows it to bite apart foes while flying by at high speed.
5. Each of Yanmega’s segments have a red spot on them, while the last tail segment has a black triangular plate.
6. It has two similar plates on the back of its thorax and a third on its head.
7. It has four white, oval wings with red tips, and there are two smaller white wings on the end of its tail.
8. Yanmega can create shock waves by beating its wings.
9. These shock waves are so powerful, they may inflict critical injuries on the foe.
10. These wings are powerful enough to carry an adult human.
11. Yanmega also has six thin, black legs.
12. Yanmega is very rare in the wild, though it can be found in wooded and swampy areas.
13. It has very strong jaw power and bites apart its prey’s heads while flying at high speed.
14. True to its large size, Yanmega can easily carry an adult in flight.
15. Despite having significantly higher Special Attack than Attack, Yanmega gives out 2 Attack effort values when defeated.
16. Two generations after Yanmega’s debut, Mega Pokémon were introduced. These Pokémon have the word “mega” in front of their names, similar to Yanmega’s name in Japan.
17. Yanmega is, as its name suggests, based on the Meganeura monyi, a particularly large, prehistoric species of dragonflies and damselflies. Its species name suggests it is based on a green darner.
18. Yanmega and Megayanma are a combination of yanma (large dragonfly) and Meganeura (a genus commonly referred to as “griffinflies”, consisting of gigantic prehistoric versions of modern dragonflies/damselflies). Megayanma may also literally be “mega yanma”.
19. Jessie has a female Yanmega that debuted in The Thief That Keeps on Thieving!, which also served as the species’ main series debut. After catching her as a Yanma, Jessie used her in a battle against Ash and his friends, where she evolved into Yanmega in the same episode. Yanmega was then used in several Pokémon Contests before Jessie left her at the Team Rocket HQ when she headed to Unova, so she would not attract attention by using a Pokémon foreign to the region.
20. Multiple Yanmega appeared in flashbacks in A Slippery Encounter!, One for the Goomy!, and An Oasis of Hope!. They later physically appeared in Defending the Homeland! and Beyond the Rainbow!. They are the minions of a wild Florges, who had ordered them to attack Ash’s Goodra’s homeland in a flashback. They were then used again to attack Goodra itself. Two reappeared in Facing the Needs of the Many! and the following episode.
21. Yanmega debuted in The Rise of Darkrai.
22. A Yanmega appeared in Arceus and The Jewel of Life.
23. A Yanmega appeared in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction, under the ownership of Merilyn. It was mostly used as her means of transportation.
24. A Yanmega appeared in Mission Complete as one of the Pokémon Kincaid controlled.
25. A Yanmega under Merilyn’s ownership appeared in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction.