Ariel Winter Workman, professionally known as Ariel Winter, is an American actress and voice actress. She is known for her role as Alex Dunphy in the comedy series “Modern Family,” as well as the voice of the title character in the Disney Junior show “Sofia the First.” Take a look below for 24 more interesting and awesome facts about Ariel Winter.
1. Winter and her “Modern Family” castmates have won four Screen Actors Guild Awards for Best Ensemble in a Comedy Series.
2. Winter was born in Los Angeles, California, on January 28, 1998, the daughter of Chrisoula and Glenn Workman.
3. Through her mother, she is of Greek descent, and though her father, she is of German descent.
4. She is the younger sister of actors Shanelle Workman and Jimmy Workman.
5. Winter obtained her first entertainment industry job in a Cool Whip commercial advertisement in 2002 when she was four years old.
6. She has her first television role in an episode of “Listen Up!,” and followed it with appearances in a variety of shows such as “Freddie,” “Monk,” “Bones,” and “ER.”
7. In the animated children’s show “Phineas and Ferb,” she voiced the character of Gretchen before winning the regular role of Alex Dunphy in the series “Modern Family,” which premiered in 2009.
8. She has continued to work in TV animation, including providing the voice of Marina the Mermaid on Disney Junior’s “Jake and the Never Land Pirates.”
9. In 2012, Winter was cast as Sofia, the lead character in a then-new Disney animated franchise “Sofia the First.”
10. In 2014, she voiced Penny Peterson, Sherman’s enemy turned friend in the 2014 Dreamworks Animation film “Mr. Peabody and Sherman.”
11. She also lent her voice to characters in the animated films, Disney’s “Bambi II” and Blue Sky’s “Ice Age: The Meltdown.”
12. Winter has appeared in feature films, most notably in “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,” “Speed Racer,” “Duress,” “Opposite Day,” and “Fred 2.”
13. For her leading role in the film “The Chaperone,” she was nominated at the Young Artist Awards 2012 as Best Actress in a Motion Picture.
14. In October 2012, Winter’s sister Shanelle Workman filed to become her guardian, alleging that their mother had been physically and emotionally abusive.
15. On May 5, 2014, the court ordered guardianship to Workman and removed Winter from her mother’s guardianship permanently.
16. Their mother later released a statement stating that “the family has moved beyond the conflict”.
17. On May 15, 2015, Winter declared on Twitter that she was officially emancipated.
18. In June 2015, Winter underwent breast reduction surgery.
19. In April 2016, Winter was accepted to University of California, Los Angeles and was scheduled to begin attendance in the fall quarter of 2016.
20. On her decision to go to college, she explained, “You gotta have something else you can do. I’ve always been interested in law so I think it’ll definitely be something that I’ll love to do and also go to school for.”
21. Winter attends a Greek Orthodox Church.
22. Winter told The Hollywood Reporter how her mother would dress her to appear older, wearing “in the smallest mini skirts, sailor suits, low-cut things, the shortest dresses you’ve ever seen.”
23. Her mother told her friends, especially female friends, were not allowed. “Because females are competition” was her mother’s reasoning.
24. Her mother used to restrict her food.