Blackout, or Marcus Daniels, is the name of a fictional supervillain that appears in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He is the first character to use the name within the fictional universe. Take a look below for 24 more fun and interesting facts about Blackout.
1. Blackout was created by Marv Wolfman, Carmine Infantino and Tom Palmer. He first appeared in Nova #19.
2. Marcus Daniels worked as a laboratory assistant to Dr. Abner Croit, a physicist hoping to build a device that’s capable of tapping into energies from other dimensions.
3. Blackout possesses the ability to tap and manipulate an intense black form of extra dimensional energy called the Darkforce.
4. The extra dimensional energy that Blackout controls, which appears to be related to the extra dimensional black gas like substance manipulated by Cloak and the Shroud, possesses mass and form while the substance that Cloak and Shroud emit doesn’t.
5. Although Blackout draws Darkforce fro the same dimension as the Shroud’s gas like substance, it’s not clear whether this is the same dimension of darkness to which Cloak’s powers are connected.
6. Blackout’s powers seem to have been identical to those of the mutant Darkstar, although Blackout’s powers were gained by experimental means and Darkstar was born with the genetic potential to manifest her powers.
7. Blackout can project the Darkforce as concussive energy with massive force, the limits of which are not known.
8. He can cause the Darkforce to take on simple mentally controlled forms such as discs, cubes, cylinders and so on.
9. Before Moonstone helped him extend his control of his powers, Blackout could form objects that had the maximum density of hardened rubber and the consistency of tar at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Blackout can form objects with a maximum volume of about 150 cubic feet, which is enough to encompass two average human beings.
11. Under Moonstone’s guidance, Blackout learned to project enough Darkforce to envelop the entire Avengers Mansion.
12. The wall of Darkforce that Blackout created around the Avengers Mansion was strong enough to resist rocket launcher fire.
13. Darkforce objects created by Blackout after his training by Moonstone absorbed energy directed against them. The limits to the amount of energy these objects could absorb harmlessly are unknown.
14. The objects that Blackout made from Darkforce were solid and well defined when he consciously will them to be.
15. Blackout could exercise control over his Darkforce creations within a range of about 1,000 feet away.
16. Blackout can dissipate at will an object that he’s formed from Darkforce.
17. A fully formed Darkforce object that Blackout stopped controlling consciously will remain solid for about five minutes before it loses its solidity and shape.
18. He can mentally open apertures into the Darkforce dimension, which remain open as long as he maintains mental control over them.
19. Blackout can envelop a person or object with Darkforce and then project the trapped person or object into the Darkforce dimension.
20. His Darkforce objects are not affected by gravity.
21. By standing on a disc of Darkforce and making it move through the air, Blackout can fly.
22. Blackout can travel at any speed and height at which he can still breathe.
23. The dark dimension from which Blackout draws his Darkforce power isn’t the same as the Dark Dimension that was previously ruled by Dormammu and is now ruled by Clea.
24. Marcus Daniels appeared in the 2014 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode “Providence,” portrayed by Patrick Brennan.