Beast Boy, also known as Garfield Logan, is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. He’s a member of the Teen Titans and Doom Patrol. He was created by writer Arnold Drake and artist Bob Brown and he first appeared in The Doom Patrol #99. Take a look below for 23 more fun and interesting facts about Beast Boy.
1. The first DC Comics shapeshifter named Beast Boy was not related to Garfield Logan and first appeared in the Legion of Super-Heroes feature in Adventure Comics #324.
2. The first Beast Boy was one of the young superheroes of the planet Lallor, who turned villain and was killed off in Adventure Comics #339, just after Garfield Logan’s first appearance in the November 1965 issue of Doom Patrol.
3. As a young child, Logan lived with his scientist parents in Africa, who were developing reverse evolution to bring back extinct creatures.
4. Garfield contracted a rare illness called Sakutia, which is lethal to every species except the West African green monkey. To save his life, his father used an untested serum to change him into a West African green monkey for 24 hours, so that the virus could die out.
5. The serum that saved his life ended up turning his skin, eyes and hair green, and giving him the ability to metamorph into any animal of his choice.
6. Beast Boy has been shown to shape shift into demonic animals when under the influence of Trigon. He can also change into a hybrid, a create that possesses the powers of all animals rolled into one.
7. His transformations only take a second and Beast Boy has demonstrated that he’s capable of rapidly changing his form with little or no effort expended.
8. As a corollary to his power, he can transform back into his default form if an external force like magic transforms him into an animal.
9. His power enables him to completely alter his body mass, being able to take the shape of animals far larger and heavier than himself, such as an elephant, or smaller and lighter animals such as mice and insects.
10. Due to his rapidly changing genetic structure and mass, he has an increased healing factor comparable to that of The Creeper and Deathstroke, allowing him to heal from bullet wounds, burns and broken bones in seconds.
11. In some instances, his healing factor was so good that he would regrow lost limbs.
12. He can’t change or return to a form if the space that he occupies is too small and he can’t normally break the confines.
13. Beast Boy’s power allows him to radically alter his body structure and take forms of animals without limbs, like snakes, or those without skeletons like a jellyfish.
14. There are instances of Beast Boy taking the form of multiple individuals simultaneously, such as when he turned into a swarm of fireflies and a mass of barnacles.
15. In one comic, Beast Boy took the form of what appeared to be a green version of Beast from X-Men.
16. When on a rescue mission in the Vegan system to free Starfire, he easily transformed into a Gordanian, who are one of the green skinned alien warriors native to the system, in order to sneak Robin and Cyborg onto a warship.
17. When he pursued Madame Rouge in revenge for her role in killing his foster mother, Rita Farr, he began transforming into creatures that don’t even exist, which were products of his subconscious rage against the villainess.
18. While transformed into an animal, Beast Boy gains all of the physical abilities, attributes and characteristics of that animal, such as greatly enhanced superhuman strength of a gorilla, superhuman speed of a cheetah, enhanced durability like a turtle, and the ability to fly like a bird.
19. Beast Boy can also gain the ability to survive and live in the same hostile environments that some animals thrive in. In one comic, he morphs into a parasitic worm to become resistant to the stomach acid and immune system of Brother Blood when he dived into the villain’s intestinal tract to retrieve Raven‘s chakra.
20. While in his animal form, Beast Boy still retains his human intellect, memories and the ability to speak.
21. Beast Boy is very proficient in hand to hand combat, and is capable of defeating well trained hand to hand fighters, though he’s not considered to be at a comparable level of Batman and Deathstroke.
22. In the Titans Tomorrow storyline, Beast Boy calls himself Animal Man. In this storyline, he has the power to use more than one animal power at a time, such as using an amoeba’s power to split to create copies of himself while in the form of another creature.
23. In the possible future seen in the 1996 miniseries Kingdom Come, Beast Boy changed his name to Menagerie and can only transform into mythical creatures.