Karrablast is a Bug-type Pokémon introduced in Generation V. It evolves into Escavalier when traded for a Shelmet, which evolves into Accelgor simultaneously. Neither evolves if at least one holds an Everstone during the trade.
1. Karrablast is a round, bipedal Pokemon with a primarily blue carapace that comprises a horn at the tip.
2. Its black face has a teal patch on its forehead, a fanged mouth, and eyes with orange pupils and yellow sclerae.
3. Its ridged underbelly, or plastron, is yellow, and its stubby arms and legs are black.
4. When it senses danger, it spews an acidic liquid from its mouth.
5. It targets its rival Shelmet, so it can evolve through electrical-like energy.
6. Shelmet is also its preferred prey of Karrablast as it eats the inside after melting the shell.
7. It resides in forests and fields, and it often hides in trees or grass if threatened.
8. Karrablast and Shelmet are the only Pokémon that have to be traded for a specific Pokémon to evolve, having to be traded for each other.
9. Karrablast’s name, its capacity of producing corrosive substances as a method of protection, and its penchant for attacking Shelmet suggest it is inspired by a ground beetle.
10. In an interview, Ken Sugimori confirmed that the original idea for Karrablast, as suggested by Atsuko Nishida, was a snail-eating beetle based on the Carabus smaragdinus species.
11. Its appearance may also be based on some other beetle species, such as the Japanese rhinoceros beetle.
12. Karrablast and Shelmet may be a reference to coevolution, where the evolution of one species is influenced by changes in another species; in this case, the relationship between predator and prey.
13. Karrablast may be a combination of Carabidae (the family of ground beetles) or κέρατο kérato (Greek for horn), and blast (referring to its defense mechanism).
14. Karrablast physically debuted in Evolution Exchange Excitement!, where Professor Juniper traded it to Bianca for her Shelmet so it could evolve. The trade ended with Karrablast evolving into Escavalier.
15. A Karrablast appeared in Unrest at the Nursery!. It was one of the residents of a Pokémon Day Care not far from Humilau City.
16. Karrablast debuted in a fantasy in Crisis at Chargestone Cave!.
17. A Karrablast appeared in Jostling for the Junior Cup!, under the ownership of Marris. It battled Ash in the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup but lost to Leavanny in the first round.
18. A Trainer’s Karrablast appeared in Team Plasma’s Pokémon Power Plot!.
19. A Karrablast appeared in Pikachu and the Pokémon Music Squad. It was among the Pokémon residing in a forest.
20. In Big City Battles, a Karrablast was briefly seen under the ownership of one of Castelia City’s residents.
21. A Karrablast appeared in Underground Showdown and Pinsir Changes.
22. Two Karrablast appeared in a fantasy in A Misunderstanding.
23. In Cold Storage Battle, a Karrablast was stolen from an executive member of the Autumn Choir Tournament in Castelia City. The thieves were part of Team Plasma’s new faction, who ran into the Castelia Sewers. Karrablast was later abandoned at the sewers, along with the rest of the Pokémon that had been stolen.