Diamond Bar is a city in eastern Los Angeles County, California, United States. Take a look below for 20 interesting and fascinating facts about Diamond Bar, California, United States.
1. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 55,544, and in 2019 the population was estimated to be 55,720.
2. It is named after the “diamond over a bar” branding iron registered in 1918 by ranch owner Frederick E. Lewis.
3. The city features a public Los Angeles County golf course.
4. Located at the junction of the Pomona and Orange freeways, Diamond Bar is primarily residential with shopping centers interspersed throughout the city.
5. It is surrounded by the communities of Brea, Walnut, Chino Hills, Rowland Heights, Pomona, and City of Industry.
6. Northern Diamond Bar is a part of the Pomona Unified School District.
7. Southern Diamond Bar is a part of the Walnut Valley Unified School District.
8. The city is also served by International Polytechnic High School.
9. It also has the first hydrogen fueling station to be built in Southern California, near the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) building.
10. Moreover, according to the 2010 United States Census, Diamond Bar has a median household income at one of the top earning percentiles in the country at $88,422, with 5.9% of the population living below the federal poverty line.
11. In 1840, José de la Luz Linares received the 4,340-acre (1,760 ha) Mexican land grant Rancho Los Nogales (Ranch of the Walnut Trees) from Governor Juan Alvarado.
12. The land grant included Brea Canyon and the eastern Walnut Valley.
13. Linares died in 1847, and his widow sold a part of the ranch to Ricardo Vejar for $100 in merchandise, 100 calves, and the assumption of her late husband’s debts.
14. Vejar also owned the Rancho San Jose to the east, and acquired the rest of Rancho Nogales over the next 10 years.
15. However, Vejar’s luck did not last that long. As time wore on – and particularly as the United States government took over California – Rancho Los Nogales was divided and sold into multiple land ranches, the largest of which was the Diamond Bar Ranch.
16. At the time, it was one of the largest working cattle ranches in the western U.S. The entire Diamond Bar Ranch was acquired by the Transamerica Corporation in the 1950s for the purpose of developing one of the nation’s first master-planned communities.
17. Transamerica gave the Diamond Bar name to its new community and incorporated the ranch’s familiar diamond and bar cattle brand into various logos (many of which are still in use today).
18. The first houses in this development were built in 1959, adjacent to the future location of the Pomona Freeway, which was built through the area ten years later.
19. The town’s development and population grew extremely quickly after that.
20. Transamerica oversaw all development of the community through the 1960s. The Transamerica Corporation divested itself of all its real estate ventures in the 1970s and 1980s. As a result, the Diamond Bar project was sold to multiple developers and much of its initial master plan was not implemented during the latter half of its development in the 1980s.