Farmersville is a city in the San Joaquin Valley in Tulare County, California, United States, just to the east of Visalia. Take a look below for 20 amazing and fun facts about Farmerville, California, United States.
1. The population was 10,588 at the 2010 census, up from 8,737 at the 2000 census.
2. The city hosts many events throughout the year, including a Fall Festival the first weekend in October and a Memorial Day Parade.
3. Both are extremely well-attended and manage to draw visitors from the surrounding areas every Memorial Day morning.
4. The history of Farmersville began in the 1850s.
5. This early community was called Deep Creek, located near the present Deep Creek Cemetery.
6. There are headstones that date back to the 1850s.
7. Farmersville’s first school was built there to accommodate the farm children in the area.
8. In the Fly family history, which is preserved in a book written about their travels to California, there is talk about attending the Deep Creek School in the 1860s. It was located East of the Cemetery.
9. Until 1863, other residents living on the east side of the county traveled through Farmersville on the Visalia Road.
10. They rode their horse-drawn wagons to get their mail, purchase supplies and bring their goods to sell.
11. The trip was so long that many would stop at the Wiley Hinds farm, just south of present-day Farmersville, to ask to sleep in his barn and continue their trip home the next day.
12. Wiley Hinds was a former slave, his brother Archibald, came from Arkansas in 1858. He settled in Farmersville, purchased other parcels for farming and became very prosperous.
13. Two entrepreneurs, John Crowley and his brother in law Merrill Jasper opened a large wooden general store in 1867.
14. They wanted to capture the sales of residents on the east side of the county on their way to Visalia to get their mail. Unfortunately, they were not successful. In 1868, Thomas J. Brundage who managed the store purchased the business from the Crowley Family. He applied for a post office status and named the city Farmersville. This was the trick needed to get the eastern residents to stop into his store.
15. Mr.Brundage also had a lumber yard across the street from the general store. Oxen would pull the lumber shipment from the Sierra hills. Just east of the Brundage General Store was the Brown Hotel. It was constructed in 1870 for Edward Balaam and later purchased by Charles Brown.
16. The hotel was two stories and served meals to passengers during the horse changeover for the Overland Stage; Brown owned the livery stable. The location of the Brundage general store and the Brown hotel would be today around Sam’s Foods Supermarket. There is a historic marker for the Brundage store in the parking lot.
17. There was a bad fire in 1910 that hit the corners of Visalia Rd and Farmersville Blvd. The Brundage General store received heavy damage. The fire also burned a couple of other businesses and buildings and scorched the United Methodist Church.
18. In 1910 Tom J. Brundage’s son Oscar G. Brundage who took over the store decided to build an additional store this time made of brick. It was completed in December 1910. He continued the general stores until the 1930s. In News articles it mentions him being in the store in the 1940s, so he may of still owned it or helped the new owners. He had property where he began growing prunes, figs and other crops.
19. He would stop by the store at times where he would be welcomed by former customers. Later it would become Dixon’s Grocery Store, owned by Floyd Dixon. After that, it would become Ryan’s Grocery Store. Later it would become a saloon called the Frontier Club. It had a bad fire in the 1960s and was demolished. It sat on the South East corner of Visalia Rd and Farmersville Blvd where Rainbow’s Drive In sits today.
20. The second school was built around 1869 by the Farmers Alliance Organization and used until around 1904 . It was a two-story building with the classrooms on the second floor, and a community room on the first floor for meetings and social events. The Large in size Farmersville Elementary School was built at the same southwest corner of the Four Corners in 1905. It was torn down for a new school and replaced with Snowden Elementary in 1953. Hester School was also opened in 1953.