Think you know all there is to know about this iconic motoring brand? Think again. Take a look below for 17 amazing and interesting facts about Land Rover.
1. Land Rovers may have been built since 1948, but Land Rover was only founded in 1978. Prior to then they’d been made by Rover.
2. Back in the day Land Rover would provide free vehicles for Oxbridge students to drive across the Sahara Desert if they wanted to.
3. They’re the second oldest 4-wheel drive brand in the world after Jeep.
4. The original Land Rovers had steering wheels in the middle to make the design more “tractor-like” according to the chief designer.
5. The Range Rover was designed by a number of Rolls Royce jet engine engineers.
6. Land Rover dominated the notoriously arduous Camel Trophy.
7. Charles S. King would then go on to create his own custom jet engine powered car and break the world land speed record.
8. You used to be able to order your Land Rover to come with tank treads if you really wanted to make a statement.
9. Land Rover invented the Monster Truck 30 years before the Americans would introduce the rest of the world to it.
10. Range Rovers were designed in the 1950s but not put into production for another 20 years.
11. When the Range Rover prototype was first built not a single change was made during the manufacturing process.
12. Range Rovers were originally called Road Rovers and are the earliest precursor to modern SUVs.
13. The iconic Defender 110 could carry a dozen people which meant it could use bus lanes as it was classed as a fully fledged passenger bus!
14. Land Rover have been know to create concept vehicles that can drive on water by deploying floatation devices.
15. There’s currently a Range Rover displayed in the Louvre in Paris.
16. Pre-production models were called Velars to avoid mass public speculation.
17. They didn’t just win the inaugural Dakar Rally, they also produced a 6-wheel version for a short period of time. Why not?