Enterprise is a city in and the county seat of Wallowa County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 fun and interesting facts about Enterprise, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 1,940 in the 2010 census.
2. Enterprise was platted in 1886, and in 1887 residents considered Bennett Flat, Wallowa City, Franklin, and other possibilities before voting for Enterprise during a community meeting in a tent owned by a mercantile company.
3. The name was meant to reflect “the policy of its inhabitants”.
4. In November 1887, a post office was established in the community, and Catherine Akin became the first postmaster.
5. The city was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on February 21, 1889.
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.53 square miles (3.96 km2), all of it land.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,940 people, 871 households, and 522 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,268.0 inhabitants per square mile (489.6/km2).
8. There were 965 housing units at an average density of 630.7 per square mile (243.5/km2).
9. The racial makeup of the city was 95.9% White, 0.3% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.1% of the population.
10. There were 871 households, of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 40.1% were non-families.
11. 34.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.78.
12. The median age in the city was 46 years. 21.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.8% were from 25 to 44; 29.5% were from 45 to 64; and 21.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.1% male and 51.9% female.
13. Enterprise has a humid continental climate (Köppen Climate Classification Dfb), one of the less common climate types in Oregon.
14. Enterprise has numerous privately owned and operated restaurants including Friends, The Range Rider Cafe, Heavenly’s, The Red Rooster, Cloud Nine Bakery and Cafe, Sugertime Bakery, Happy Garden (Chinese food), and Thai Enterprise. It has one chain store and a Subway sandwich shop. The Terminal Gravity Brewery and Pub, which distributes statewide, is located here.
15. The Wallowa Memorial Hospital is a primary employer.