Hawthorne is a city in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, located in southwestern Los Angeles County, California. Take a look below for 15 fascinating and interesting facts about Hawthorne, California, United States.
1. It is part of a seventeen-city region commonly called the South Bay.
2. As of the 2020 US census, Hawthorne had a population of 88,083.
3. Hawthorne was founded in 1905 as the “Hawthorne Improvement Company” by B.L. Harding and H.D. Lombard.
4. Harding’s daughter shared her birthday—the 4th of July, American Independence Day—with New England author Nathaniel Hawthorne, and a decision was made to name the city after him.
5. Hawthorne was once a “whites only” settlement, commonly called a sundown town.
6. During the 1930s, signs warned African-Americans to be out of Hawthorne by sundown.
7. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has an area of 6.1 square miles (16 km2), over 99% of it land.
8. To the north of Hawthorne is the unincorporated community of Lennox and the city of Inglewood. To the east is the unincorporated community of Athens and the city of Gardena.
9. To the south is the unincorporated community of El Camino Village, and the cities of Lawndale and Redondo Beach. Manhattan Beach is at the southwest corner of Hawthorne. To the west is the city of El Segundo, and the Los Angeles neighborhood of Westchester is to the northwest of Hawthorne.
10. The unincorporated community of Del Aire is surrounded on three sides by Hawthorne.
11. The Century Freeway (Glenn Anderson Freeway, I-105) runs along the northern boundary of Hawthorne, with the LACMTA Green Line light rail line running down the center of the Century Freeway. The San Diego Freeway (I-405) runs along the western boundary of Hawthorne.
12. Major east–west streets in Hawthorne include Rosecrans Avenue, El Segundo Boulevard, and Imperial Highway.
13. Major north–south streets include Aviation Boulevard, Inglewood Avenue, Hawthorne Boulevard, Prairie Avenue, Crenshaw Boulevard, and Van Ness Avenue.
14. Hawthorne is five miles (8 km) from the Los Angeles International Airport.
15. Hawthorne comprises ZIP codes 90250 and 90251. It is in the 310 area code, except for a small portion of northeastern Hawthorne, which is located in the 323 area code.