Entiat is a city in Chelan County, Washington, United States. It is part of the Wenatchee−East Wenatchee Metropolitan Statistical Area. Take a look below for 15 fascinating and interesting facts about Entiat, Washington, United States.
1. The population was 1,112 at the 2010 census.
2. The population was 1,250 at 2018 Estimates.
3. In 1877, the first white settler arrived in the Entiat Valley, Lewis Detwiler.
4. The first public school was established in Entiat in 1891. In 1895 the first Entiat Post Office was established.
5. In 1903 the Chief of the Entiat Indian tribe, Shil-how-Saskt (Silico Saska) died.
6. The Entiat Power Plant opened for business in 1908. The Keystone Fruit Company opened for business in the valley in 1910.
7. E.P. Murphy began publishing the Entiat Times in 1913, and railroad service began in Entiat in 1914. In 1915 a second fire threatened the “first” town of Entiat and only six businesses survived.
8. The Entiat school opened in 1916 in its current location. In 1921 the “second” town of Entiat was secured, as the remaining buildings of town “one” burned down. In 1920, the tradition of Numeral Mountain began as High School seniors painted their graduation class number on the Mountainside across the Entiat River from the school.
9. Entiat was officially incorporated on April 25, 1944. In 1960, Rocky Reach Dam was constructed downriver from Entiat, much of the town had to be relocated to higher ground due to the rising waters behind the dam.
10. Most of the original buildings were razed or moved to a location north of the original town.
11. The “third” town of Entiat was “officially” open for business in 1961. The new Entiat Park re-opened for camping on Friday, May 22, 2015 after being closed for over a year.
12. Entiat is located at the confluence of the Entiat and Columbia rivers. This section of the Columbia is known as Lake Entiat.
13. This is the reservoir formed behind Rocky Reach Dam. The town is situated between the eastern foothills of the Cascade Mountain range, Lake Entiat and the Entiat River. Entiat is located at 47°40′40″N 120°12′47″W (47.677640, -120.213149).
14. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,112 people, 421 households, and 305 families residing in the city. The population density was 527.0 inhabitants per square mile (203.5/km2). There were 495 housing units at an average density of 234.6 per square mile (90.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 81.5% White, 0.4% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 13.8% from other races, and 3.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.7% of the population.
15. There were 421 households, of which 33.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 27.6% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 2.99.