Elma is a city in Grays Harbor County, Washington, United States. The population was 3,107 at the 2010 census. Take a look below for 15 fascinating and fun facts about Elma, Washington, United States.
1. Elma is located at 47°0′20″N 123°24′23″W (47.005648, -123.406268).
2. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.92 square miles (4.97 km2), of which, 1.89 square miles (4.90 km2) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.08 km2) is water.
3. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Elma has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
4. Summers are warm and dry, while winters are cool and very wet. Some form of precipitation occurs on half of all days on average.
5. First settled in 1853 by D.F. Byles, Elma was later named for Union soldier Elmer Brown.
6. The city of Elma was incorporated on March 22, 1888.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 3,107 people, 1,209 households, and 788 families living in the city.
8. The population density was 1,643.9 inhabitants per square mile (634.7/km2). There were 1,307 housing units at an average density of 691.5 per square mile (267.0/km2).
9. The racial makeup of the city was 85.8% White, 1.0% African American, 2.6% Native American, 2.1% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 3.2% from other races, and 4.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.6% of the population.
10. There were 1,209 households, of which 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% were married couples living together, 16.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.8% were non-families.
11. 27.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.02.
12. The median age in the city was 36.1 years. 25.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 25.4% were from 25 to 44; 26.6% were from 45 to 64; and 12.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.1% male and 50.9% female.
13. The Elma School District has four schools. Elma Elementary School serves children in an Early Childhood Program, as well as kindergarten through 5th grade. Elma Middle School consists of 6th grade through 8th grade students; Elma High School houses 9th through 12th grade, and the East Grays Harbor High School provides alternative education.
14. The mascot for Elma High School and Middle School is an eagle. Their colors are blue and white. The mascot for East Grays Harbor High School is a Gryphon. Their colors are Black and Turquoise.
15. Elma High School also participates in the Running Start program, which gives grade 11, and 12 students the opportunity to take college level classes for college credit via Grays Harbor College (Aberdeen, WA), and Washington State University (Pullman, WA).