Troutdale is a city in Multnomah County, Oregon, United States, immediately north of Gresham and east of Wood Village. Take a look below for 15 awesome and great facts about Troutdale, Oregon, United States.
1. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 15,962.
2. The city serves as the western gateway to the Historic Columbia River Highway, the Mount Hood Scenic Byway, and the Columbia River Gorge.
3. It is approximately 12 miles (19 km) east of Portland.
4. The community was once known as Sandy, after the nearby Sandy River; the post office in Sandy was established in 1854 and closed in 1868.
5. In 1873, the current city of Sandy in Clackamas County, which was formerly named “Revenue”, established a different Sandy post office that is still in operation.
6. Troutdale was named by pioneer John Harlow for the trout pond in a dale near his house.
7. Troutdale post office was founded in 1880.
8. In 1925, a company, the Bissinger Wool Pullery, was moved from Sellwood, Oregon, and opened for business on Macadam Road along the west bank of the Sandy River.
9. An iconic water tower stands nearby.
10. The company was featured in a Ripley’s Believe it or Not! column because a cat was reportedly found in a stack of animal hides that the company was going to use for its products.
11. The cat was taken care of and became the company’s mascot, and was said to have lived a long and healthy life.
12. The water tower is now known as the “Old Historic Water Tower”.
13. Reynolds Aluminum was once the area’s biggest employer. The Reynolds plant in Troutdale was established in 1941 to provide aluminum for the war effort. The plant closed in 2000. The nearby city of Wood Village was a company town founded to house workers from the Reynolds plant.
14. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.02 square miles (15.59 km2), of which, 5.94 square miles (15.38 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2) is water.
15. Troutdale is located at the confluence of the Sandy and Columbia rivers.