Perris is a city in Riverside County, California, United States, located 71 miles (114 km) east-southeast of Los Angeles and 81 miles (130 km) north of San Diego. Take a look below for 15 amazing and fun facts about Perris, California, United States.
1. It is known for Lake Perris, which hosts a variety of flora and fauna.
2. The city is most widely recognized for having many choices involving aerial activities, such as skydiving and hot-air ballooning.
3. Perris is within the Inland Empire metropolitan area of Southern California.
4. Perris had a population of 80,067 as of the 2020 census.
5. The Perris Valley was actively settled by European Americans in the 1880s, a boom period for Southern California.
6. Prior to 1880, the land was used for pastures. The coming of the California Southern Railroad led to the founding of the city around the new depot.
7. The California Southern was built through the future town site in 1882 to open a rail connection between the present-day cities of Barstow and San Diego.
8. Due to a land title dispute at Pinacate, most of its citizens moved two miles north on the railroad and established Perris in 1885. The city is named in honor of Fred T. Perris, chief engineer of the California Southern Railroad.
9. The city of Perris was incorporated in 1911. It originally was within San Diego County but, in 1892, it was transferred to the newly established Riverside County.
10. The Southern California Railway Museum is the largest operating museum of its kind on the West Coast of the United States.
11. The Southern California Fair has been held at the Lake Perris Fairgrounds since 1987.
12. The Farmer Boys restaurant chain, which has many locations throughout the Inland Empire, was started in Perris in 1981.
13. Rock Castle house is set on a hill above town.
14. In the California State Legislature, Perris is in the 31st Senate District, represented by Democrat Richard Roth, and in the 61st Assembly District, represented by Democrat Jose Medina.
15. In the United States House of Representatives, Perris is in California’s 41st congressional district, represented by Democrat Mark Takano.